Return to [ 26 | August | 2003 ]

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:55:46 PDT7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Is U-320 supported by OS/2 ?

Steve Carter replied:

> I've looked all over for the LSILogic U320 OS/2 drivers
> and come up empty. I also searched Hobbes for LSILogic
> and U320.
>
> Anybody got a pointer?

At the time I was considering the LSI model that competes directly
with the Adaptec 39160, I scarfed up drivers & .PDF for it . . .
but, at the time, I was not looking for anything having to do with
their U320 model(s), whichever they may be.

This LSI dual-channel model can often be found quite a bit cheaper
than the Adaptec, and better performance is claimed for it. I recall
reading a report that OS/2 CHKDSK seemed to take weeks to run on
a 39160, particularly if your AUTOCHK got triggered on reboot by a
dirty flag situation.

I'm 90 % sure that there is no U320 driver on the DDPak. The way they
have their driver list set up, you need to know the adaptor model # to be
completely sure, and I'm not yet familiar with the model #s for these
latest-issue Adaptecs. Steven just weighed in on the limitations of the
DDPak, so I'll next run a search on Hobbes. But I think we may be chasing
a phantom here. It seems like Serenity would not have overlooked this for
the 1.1 CDs, if it existed. If it does not, I guess this is not exactly a top
priority for them, given available resources and what's already on their plate.

Jordan

Return to [ 26 | August | 2003 ]