Return to [ 19 | December | 2003 ]

Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:47:11 PST8
From: jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Upgrading tcp/ip stack to 32 bit

In , on 12/19/2003
at 09:07 AM, "Steven Levine" said:

Steven,

I reread wr8610.txt and readme.txt at
service/boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/mpts/fixes/english-us/wro8610_conv.
Neither specifies booting to a: with utility diskettes. One of them says,
"This version of MPTS is installed using the MPTS Program Product
Installation Aid, MPTS.EXE."

In fact, the readme.txt file there says, "With the MPTS refresh diskette
(Fixpak Diskette 1) in drive A:, run MPTS byentering A:\MPTS and follow
the prompts".

Soooo, my original plan to run it from a: was in error, I will try to
install 8610 from my running Warp partition.

FixTool 1.42 used to install wr08621 is on the first diskette of te 8621
fixpak set. It offers as the first method of installation a boot to a:
with the utility diskettes, insert the diskette with 1.42 on it and type
FPINST Warp4, then follow the instructions.

I have an archive from some old fixpak and on't want to create one with
this fixpak since I have a backup. Should I use ARCHIUTIL OFF A: as the
read. me recommends for 1.42?

I have the impression that, left unchecked, CSF1.42 will try to fix every
installation of Warp 4 in different partitions. The quotes below from the
CSF1.42 read.me file will show you why.

> If your system has a large number of syslevel files, you
> may have to limit the search for products to be serviced
> by using the following set statement before you run SERVICE:
> SET CSFDRIVEAPPLY=d
> where d is the drive you wish to service. This statement
> limits the search for serviceable products to one drive at
> a time in addition to the boot drive. This will get the
> number of files opened down to a workable level.

> - BOOTOS2 induced problem. BOOTOS2 (corrected in latest version)
> copied the SYSLEVEL.OS2 file from the booted partition which was
>used
> to create the BOOTOS2 partition to the new partition. This
>SYSLEVEL.OS2
> file could have had default service directories that included drive
> letters in it. Since BOOTOS2 copied the file to a different
>partition,
> the wrong drive letter would be specified for the FixTool to use
>when
> looking for files to be serviced. The SYSLEVEL.OS2 normally would
>have
> default directories in it after one had applied service to a
>partition,
> or possibly after the system install. The net result here is that
> if you had a SYSLEVEL.OS2 file with default directories in it, then
> created a BOOTOS2 partition, and later tried to service the BOOTOS2
> partition, the FixTool not only would apply service to the BOOTOS2
> partition, but the default directories in the SYSLEVEL.OS2 file as
>well
> (the partition where the SYSLEVEL.OS2 came from).
> The solution here is to copy the SYSLEVEL.OS2 from your distribution
> diskette or CD into OS2\INSTALL directory of the BOOTOS2 partition
>before
> applying service to that partition.

My maintenance partition, I: is a WPS version created by bootos2, it has a
syslevel.os2 file that is identical to the one in my boot partition c:.
Soo, I want to be sure CSF 1.42 doesn't alter anything in I:. Since I
will be working from a:, will SET CSFDRIVEAPPLY=c do the trick? Or should
I simply format I: without removing the bootable designation or deleting
it from the Boot Manager selection screen before applying 8610, leave it
bkank until after 8610 and 8620 are installed, and then recreate I: with
bootos2.?

And, at last, what do you recommend for any message that says the file
being installed by the fix is older than the one it should replace? Keep
the newer file? Replace it with the older one?

I am sorry to be asking so many questions, but I always find them when I
rtfm.

Thanks for the help.

Jack

Jack
>In <200312182250.5333768.6@scoug.com>, on 12/18/03
> at 10:50 PM, jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net said:

>>NLS.DLL is loaded by the third utility diskette.

>The error is probably because a DLL required by NLS.DLL is missing.
>FWIW, just because a DLL is on the diskette, does not mean it will be
>loaded.

>>Disregarding this fact, I added NLS.DLL to the first WRO8610 diskette.

>That will not work, since it does not fix the real problem.

>>If someone can tell me what is going wrong, I would sure appreciate it.

>My memory says the mpts is either a GUI install or a CID install. If I'm
>having a senior moment, just point me at the documentation that says you
>can run mpts from diskette.

>If my memory is correct, it means what you are try to di will not work.
>I recommend you boot to your Warp partition and install mpts from there.

>Regards,

>Steven

Return to [ 19 | December | 2003 ]