Return to [ 12 | December | 2003 ]

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 18:55:50 PST8
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Mozilla contents | News

5

> > what standalone News Reader for OS/2

Peter replied:

> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-browse?sh=1&dir=//pub/os2/apps/internet/news/reader&sort=date

That's not an endorsement, just a list. Of this list, the only one that seems to be currently
viable is ProNews, the version bugfixed by Trevor.

Just as an experiment, I tried installing the 16-bit (for Win 3.1) edition of Forte's Free Agent,
into ECS 1.0. My expectation was that it would not be one of the Win 3.1 programs that could work
in Win-OS/2, and that it would not even complete the install. Not so -- it installed just fine.
The failure came when I tried to connect with the News Server: "Winsock driver error." I dimly
recall this as being a fatal error for any communications app. that attempts to function under
Win-OS/2, with no cure (substitute Winsock driver) being available. Too bad, because Forte is
what I would use under Win-32. I like to standardize app.s, where there is any possibility of
running them on different platforms.

So, I guess I'll have to check out ProNews. News Harvest stopped in 1999 -- is it still usable,
or hopelessly outdated ? (By which I mean, NS 4.61 is still technically usable, but not really
viable for a lot of today's web pages. A great many of them won't render at all, won't render
properly, peg the cpu at 100 %, or etc.)

Jordan

Content Type: text/html