Return to [ 08 | February | 2003 ]

Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 11:06:49 PST8
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: system freezes with MR2ICE

In <20030208181633.YADW10203.pop017.verizon.net@2ATHLON>, on 02/08/03
at 10:36 AM, Benedict G. Archer said:

>Not using a clipboard utility but added the switch anyway

That's not a requirement for the problem to exist. There's a race
condition in ICE's multiple clipboard logic.

>>Do you have a dump partition set up? If not, think about it.

>Have a permanent SADUMP, FAT16, 1 Gb, but didn't have the trapdump line
>in config.sys. Activated the trapdump in config.sys, and the system
>froze 4 or 5 times but the dump partition was always empty. Once on

That's expected. You have a hang not a trap. To force a trapdump after a
hang, you need to use the:

Ctrl-Alt-Numlock-Numlock

key sequence.

>restarting chkdsk stopped with a trap000d error, but that did not repeat.

I think I misinterpreted your orginal post. When you said freeze, I read
that to mean that CAD did not work. Did I miss something?

>(thanks), and it seems that the "exe" extension for pdumpsys has to be
>explicit. The line would not execute until I wrote it as,
>run=c:\os2\system\pdumpsys.exe paddr(all).

That's a typo. Thanks for the catch. All commands in config.sys require
extensions. I'll fix it. FWIW, you shouldn't need to use pdumpsys for
your situation.

>Did all this before adding
>the /SC switch, and suddenly MR2I seems stable?? For the last few weeks
>these freezes were reliable--I could count on 2 or more every time I
>opened MR2I, but none since adding those two lines to config.sys.

That's odd.

>Is it inadvisable to leave trapdump activated?

I always have it activated. I'd suggest that you remove it to test if it
really fixed your problem.

>Why didn't I ever get a dump file? The HD is SCSI with partitions (in
>physical order): bootmgr, C:(OS),J:(maintOS),D:(JFS), E:(SADUMP,
>FAT),...,(4 more, all JFS)

As I noted above, you only get a dump when the kernel traps or if you
force the dump from the command line or with Ctrl-Alt-NumLock-NumLock.

Steven

Return to [ 08 | February | 2003 ]