Return to [ 03 | February | 2003 ]

Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 11:56:40 PST8
From: "Info [at] SYNass.NET" <Info@SYNass.NET >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: horrible experience with new 40GB HDD

Hello
since a while my system runs well with these 3 disks:

a 7.5GB as a system (only) disk ON IDE1 master / LBA
a 20GB as application and system dedicated files disk ON IDE3 master /
LBA
a 75GB as data and library tank (intended to be accessable LAN wide) ON
IDE3slave /LBA

The mobo is an *) ABIT KT7-Raid with 4 IDE sockets where socket 1 & 2 =

are normally served. Sockets 3 & 4 enable the connection of another 4
disks.
In the BIOS ATA100RAID is enabled but RAID NOT activated NOR set !

*) newer ABIT KT7A-Raid mobo is already here to replace the elder mobo =

after my new experiment system will be finished after my vacations in
Spring !!
With this mobo replacement I am also replacing from AMD Athlon TB
1.3GHz =

to an XP 1800+ CPU !

Well, as already mentioned, with these 3 current HDD's the system
worked =

without any problems since last spring / summer ;-))

Unfortunately I noticed some upcoming noise with the 7.5GB disk and I =

thought of replacing it with the faster, already existing 20GB disk
after I =

had replaced the 20GB drive with a new 40GB drive ...
=2E.. and ordered an new WDC400 Protege !

The new drive arrived very fast and prompt and I started partitioning
and =

formatting: exact the same values as the, already, existing drives.
Xcopied =

all the data with "HOTSERV" parms ...
=2E.. replaced the disk and rebooted the system and OOOPPPSSS ....
=2E.. and got a horrible fast rolling CHKDSK screen with endless recovery
and =

removable displayed ;-((

Now, after 4 days of intensive experiments, in however and whatever =

conditions or constellations I did not get this drive working properly.

Todays last experiment, with once again completely new partitioned /
formatted =

and then restored from a tape backup exact the same happened ;-(((
Well, there is no more displaying endless recovery and removing
messages =

but NOTHING is working: Lotus Notes is appearing a moment and then =

diappears again ;-(((

I never faced SOO MUCH troubles with a HDD, however old or new, like
this !!!
It is a WDC400EB-00CPF0 5400RPM built on November 2002.

The jumper is set to Master !
http://www.westerndigital.com/products/current/drives.asp?Model=3DWD400EB

System facts: Warp V4 FP16 with DDP2
DaniS506 V 1.61 with also Dani's newest DaniDASD !

What else do I need to change or check to get this 40GB drive running
???
Any helpful suggestion would cheer up a very frustrated fellow ;-|
Thanks in advance for your rescuing suggestions ;-)
svobi

Return to [ 03 | February | 2003 ]