Return to [ 17 | February | 2003 ]

Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 20:42:36 PST8
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Setting up a Share

6

Steven,

Sorry, let's try that again, this time with the IBMLAN.INI file
attached. Also, I believe that I installed "File and Print Client" and
"LAN Administration" (I checked the "install sharing" and "Install LAN
Server Administration" checkboxes on the "File and Print Client" window
HCM

Steven,

Thanks for your help. Attached please find a copy of my IBMLAN.INI file.

> It can. Before we get too deep, have you run PeerWPSFixup from
> WiseManager? It's on the left side menu. If you don't see it, RMB ->
> Refresh will show it.

OK! I don't understand this at all. What is WiseManager? RMB where? On
the desktop? Sorry, but your words here are a little foreign to me.
HCM

Steven Levine wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> In <3E51A8C4.208CD0F3@attglobal.net>, on 02/17/03
> at 07:27 PM, Harry Chris Motin said:
>
> > 1. The online help for File and Print Client says that I can setup a
> >share by right mouse clicking on a resource, like a folder, and bringing
> >up the popup menu and selecting "Start Share". That does not work for me.
> >There is no such selection. I'm using XWorkplace version 1.0. I don't
> >know if that makes a difference
>
> It can. Before we get too deep, have you run PeerWPSFixup from
> WiseManager? It's on the left side menu. If you don't see it, RMB ->
> Refresh will show it.
>
> There's a defect in the Peer install which results in some objects not
> getting installed.
>
> Can you share from the command line with the "net share" command? What
> happens when you issue the command:
>
> net share
>
> >"Network" folder. If someone could give me the path to this object on my
> >drive, I would really appreciate it.
>
> WPS objects do not have paths. Programs have paths.
>
> FWIW, I'm not yet sure you installed Peer. If you just installed the File
> and Print Browser, you will not be able to share, but you will be able to
> connect. You should post your IBMLAN.INI.
>
> Steven
>
> --

name="IBMLAN.INI"

; OS/2 Peer initialization file

[networks]

net1 =3D netbeui$,0,LM10,34,100,14
; This information is read by the redirector at device initialization tim=
e.

[requester]

; The following parameters generally do not need to be
; changed by the user.
charcount =3D 16
chartime =3D 250
charwait =3D 3600
keepconn =3D 600
keepsearch =3D 600
maxcmds =3D 16
maxerrorlog =3D 100
maxthreads =3D 10
maxwrkcache =3D 64
numalerts =3D 12
numcharbuf =3D 10
numservices =3D 4
numworkbuf =3D 15
numdgrambuf =3D 14
othdomains =3D =

printbuftime =3D 90
sesstimeout =3D 45
sizcharbuf =3D 512
sizerror =3D 1024
sizworkbuf =3D 4096
useallmem =3D no
; The wrkheuristics parameter sets a variety of requester fine-tuning
; options. Brief descriptions are provided here for each digit. More
; complete descriptions, along with explanations of relationships between=

; digits can be found in the OS/2 Peer Technical Reference.
;
; When not otherwise specified, a value of 0 means off (inactive) and 1 m=
eans
; on (active).
;
; 0 opportunistic locking of files (default is 1)
; 1 performance optimization for batch (.CMD) files (default is 1)
; 2 asynchronous unlock and asynchronous write-unlock
; 0 =3D never 2 =3D only on a LAN Server virtu=
al circuit
; 1 =3D always (default)
; 3 asynchronous close and asynchronous write-close
; 0 =3D never 2 =3D only on a LAN Server virtu=
al circuit
; 1 =3D always (default)
; 4 buffer all named pipes and serial devices (default is 1)
; 5 combined read-lock and write-unlock
; 0 =3D never 2 =3D only on a LAN Server virtu=
al circuit
; 1 =3D always (default)
; 6 open and read optimization (default is 1)
; 7 reserved
; 8 use of the chain-send NETBIOS NCB
; 0 =3D never
; 1 =3D when a server's buffer is larger than the workstations buf=
fer
; 2 =3D always (default)
; 9 buffer small read and write requests until the buffer is full
; 0 =3D never 2 =3D only on a LAN Server virtu=
al circuit
; 1 =3D always (default)
; 10 buffer mode
; 0 =3D always read buffer size amount of data if the request is s=
maller
; than the buffer size (sizworkbuf) and data is being read
; sequentially
; 1 =3D use full buffer if file is open for reading and writing
; 2 =3D use full buffer if reading and writing sequentially
; 3 =3D buffer all requests smaller than the buffer size (if hits =
occur)
; (default)
; 11 RAW read and RAW write SMB protocols (default is 1)
; 12 RAW read-ahead buffer (default is 1)
; 13 RAW write-behind buffer (default is 1)
; 14 read multiplexing SMB protocols (default is 1)
; 15 write multiplexing SMB protocols (default is 1)
; 16 use of big buffers for large core (non-RAW) reads (default is 1)
; 17 same-size read-ahead or read-to-sector boundary (default is 1)
; 18 same-size small record write-behind or write-to-sector boundary
; (default is 0)
; 19 reserved and must be 0
; 20 flush pipes and devices on a DosBufReset or DosClose operation
; 0 =3D Flush only files and devices opened by the caller. Spin u=
ntil
; flushed. Wait for confirmation before processing with other=

; tasks. (default)
; 1 =3D Flush only files and devices opened by the caller. Flush =
only
; once. Do not wait for confirmation.
; 2 =3D Flush all files and all input and output of short-term pip=
es
; and devices. Spin until flushed.
; 3 =3D Flush all files and all input and output of short-term pip=
es
; and devices. Flush only once.
; 4 =3D Flush all files and all input and output of all pipes and =
devices.
; Spin until flushed.
; 5 =3D Flush all files and all input and output of all pipes and =
devices.
; Flush only once.
; 21 LAN Server encryption of passwords (default is 1)
; 22 control log entries for multiple occurrences of an error
; 0 =3D log all occurrences (default)
; 1-9 =3D limit occurrences that are logged (1-9 define size of ta=
ble
; that is used to track errors)
; 23 buffer all files opened with deny-write sharing mode (default is 1)=

; 24 buffer all files opened with the read-only attribute set (default i=
s 1)
; 25 read ahead when opening for execution (default is 1)
; 26 handle the interrupt (ctrl+c) key
; 0 =3D allow no interrupts
; 1 =3D allow interrupts only on long-term operations
; 2 =3D always allow interrupts (default)
; 27 force correct open mode when creating files on a core server (reser=
ved
; for DBCS users) (default is 1)
; 28 NETBIOS NoAck mode
; 0 =3D NoAck is disabled.
; 1 =3D NoAck is set on send only. (default)
; 2 =3D NoAck is set on receive only.
; 3 =3D NoAck is set on send and receive.
; 29 send data along with SMB write-block RAW requests (default is 1)
; 30 send a message to the screen when the requester logs an error
; 0 =3D never
; 1 =3D on write-fault errors only (no time out) (default)
; 2 =3D on write-fault and internal errors only (no time out)
; 3 =3D on all errors (no time out)
; 4 =3D reserved
; 5 =3D on write-fault errors only (time out)
; 6 =3D on write-fault and internal errors only (time out)
; 7 =3D on all errors (time out)
; 8 =3D on all errors (time out) and pop up an error if a session
; to a server is abnormally disconnected
; 9 =3D on all errors (time out) and generate an INT24 (critical
; error) to applications running under DOS emulation if a
; network hard error is encountered
; 31 reserved
; 32 behavior of DosBufReset on a redirected file (not pipes or devices)=
=2E
; When the call to the API returns, the data in the buffer has been
; handled as follows:
; 0 =3D Changed data in the buffer was sent from the requester to =
the
; server. The server has written the data to disk.
; 1 =3D Changed data in the buffer was sent from the requester to =
the
; server. The server has not yet written the data to disk.
; 2 =3D DosBufReset was ignored. (default)
; 33 time interval for performing logon validation from the domain
; controller
; 0 =3D 5 seconds 4 =3D 60 seconds 8 =3D 8 mi=
nutes
; 1 =3D 15 seconds (default) 5 =3D 90 seconds 9 =3D 15 m=
inutes
; 2 =3D 30 seconds 6 =3D 2 minutes
; 3 =3D 45 seconds 7 =3D 4 minutes
; 34 date validation
; 0 =3D PCLP date format (default)
; 1 =3D MSNET date format
; 2 =3D assume date is correct
; 35 free disk space reported to DOS and Windows applications
; 0 =3D return true value (default)
; 1 =3D return a value less than two gigabytes
; 36 time and date synchronization with the domain controller at logon
; (default is 1)
; 37 type of verification for the LAN Server logon
; 0 =3D no verification
; 1 =3D verify against local NET.ACC (default)
; 2 =3D verify against domain NET.ACC
; 38 display warning messages for the LAN Server logon
; 0 =3D do not display warning messages
; 1 =3D display all warning messages (default)
; 2 =3D do not display LAN Server specific warning messages
; 3 =3D display all warning messages, including password expiratio=
n date
; 39 buffer all files opened in compatibility mode
; 0 =3D buffer only files opened for read access in compatibility =
mode
; 1 =3D buffer all files opened in compatibility mode (default)
; 40 allow a user to logon multiple times in the same domain (default is=
1)
;
; The next lines help you to locate bits in the wrkheuristics entry.
; 1 2 3 4
; 012345678901234567890123456789012345678901
wrkheuristics =3D 111111112131111111000101112011122100111110
wrknets =3D NET1
wrkservices =3D MESSENGER,PEER
Computername =3D HCM
Domain =3D BLACKBODY

[messenger]

logfile =3D messages.log
sizmessbuf =3D 4096

[peer]

auditing =3D resource
; The following parameters generally do not need to be
; changed by the user. NOTE : srvnets=3D is represented in
; the server info struct as a 16-bit lan mask. Srvnet names
; are converted to indexes within [networks] for the named nets.
guestacct =3D guest
autodisconnect =3D -1
forwardauth =3D no
maxauditlog =3D 100
maxchdevjob =3D 6
maxchdevq =3D 2
maxchdevs =3D 2
maxconnections =3D 128
maxlocks =3D 64
maxopens =3D 160
maxsearches =3D 150
maxsessopens =3D 120
maxsessreqs =3D 25
maxsessvcs =3D 1
maxshares =3D 64
maxusers =3D 32
numbigbuf =3D 6
numfiletasks =3D 1
numreqbuf =3D 48
sizreqbuf =3D 4096
srvanndelta =3D 3000
srvannounce =3D 180
srvhidden =3D no
; The srvheuristics parameter sets a variety of server fine-tuning
; options. Brief descriptions are provided here for each digit. More
; complete descriptions, along with explanations of relationships between=

; digits can be found in the OS/2 Peer Technical Reference.
;
; When not otherwise specified, a value of 0 means off (inactive) and 1 m=
eans
; on (active).
;
; 0 opportunistic locking of files (default is 1)
; 1 read-ahead when the requester is performing sequential access
; 0 =3D do not use read-ahead
; 1 =3D use single read-ahead thread (default)
; 2 =3D use asynchronous read-ahead thread
; 2 write-behind (default is 1)
; 3 use of the chain-send NETBIOS NCB (default is 1)
; 4 check all incoming SMBs for correct format (default is 0)
; 5 support FCB opens (default is 1)
; 6 set priority of server (default is 4)
; 0-9 =3D 0 is highest priority, 9 is lowest priority
; 7 automatically allocate additional memory for directory searches
; (default is 1)
; 8 write records to the audit log only when the scavenger wakes up
; (default is 1)
; 9 do full buffering when a file is opened with deny-write sharing mod=
; (default is 1)
; 10 set the interval for the scavenger to wake up
; 0 =3D 5 seconds 4 =3D 25 seconds 8 =3D 45 s=
econds
; 1 =3D 10 seconds (default) 5 =3D 30 seconds 9 =3D 50 s=
econds
; 2 =3D 15 seconds 6 =3D 35 seconds
; 3 =3D 20 seconds 7 =3D 40 seconds
; 11 allow compatibility-mode opens of certain types of files by transla=
ting
; them to sharing mode opens with deny-none
; 0 =3D Always use compatibility-mode opens.
; 1 =3D Use deny-none sharing mode if read-only access to .EXE or .=
COM
; files.
; 2 =3D Use deny-none sharing mode if read-only access to .EXE or .=
COM
; files. Use deny-write sharing mode if read-only access to .B=
AT
; files is requested.
; 3 =3D Use deny-none sharing mode on all compatibility-mode opens.=

; (default)
; 12 allow DOS LAN Services workstations to use a second NETBIOS session=
when
; sending printer requests (default is 1)
; 13 number of 64KB buffers used for read-ahead
; 0-9 =3D number of buffers (default is 1)
; 14 convert incoming path specifications into most basic format (defaul=
t is 0)
; 15 Oplock Timeout and NETBIOS Acknowledgment Timeout (default is 0)
; 0 =3D 35 second Oplock Timeout; 34 second NETBIOS Acknowledgment =
Timeout
; 1 =3D 70 second Oplock Timeout; 69 second NETBIOS Acknowledgment =
Timeout
; 2 =3D 140 second Oplock Timeout; 127 second NETBIOS Acknowledgmen=
t Timeout
; 3 =3D 210 second Oplock Timeout; 127 second NETBIOS Acknowledgmen=
t Timeout
; 4 =3D 280 second Oplock Timeout; 127 second NETBIOS Acknowledgmen=
t Timeout
; 5 =3D 350 second Oplock Timeout; 127 second NETBIOS Acknowledgmen=
t Timeout
; 6 =3D 420 second Oplock Timeout; 127 second NETBIOS Acknowledgmen=
t Timeout
; 7 =3D 490 second Oplock Timeout; 127 second NETBIOS Acknowledgmen=
t Timeout
; 8 =3D 560 second Oplock Timeout; 127 second NETBIOS Acknowledgmen=
t Timeout
; 9 =3D 640 second Oplock Timeout; no NETBIOS Acknowledgment Timeou=
; 16 validate IOCTLs (default is 1)
; 17 how long the server maintains unused, dynamic big buffers before fr=
eeing
; the memory.
; 0 =3D 0 seconds 4 =3D 5 minutes 8 =3D 1 ho=
ur
; 1 =3D 1 second 5 =3D 10 minutes 9 =3D inde=
finitely
; 2 =3D 10 seconds 6 =3D 20 minutes
; 3 =3D 1 minute (default) 7 =3D 40 minutes
; 18 how long the server waits after failing to allocate a big buffer be=
fore
; trying again.
; 0 =3D 0 seconds 3 =3D 1 minute (default)
; 1 =3D 1 second 4 =3D 5 minutes
; 2 =3D 10 seconds 5 =3D 10 minutes
; 19 RAW read and RAW write SMB protocols (default is 1)
; 20 server responds to announcement requests (default is 1)
;
; The next lines help you to locate bits in the srvheuristics entry.
; 1 2
; 012345678901234567890
srvheuristics =3D 011101411113110013311
SRVSERVICES =3D =

srvnets =3D NET1
srvcomment =3D Harry's Computer

[replicator]

replicate =3D IMPORT
importpath =3D C:\ibmlan\repl\import
tryuser =3D yes
password =3D =

[services]

; Correlates name of service to pathname of service program.
; The pathname must be either
; 1) an absolute path (including the drive specification)
; OR
; 2) a path relative to the IBMLAN root
messenger =3D services\msrvinit.exe
peer =3D services\peerinit.exe