Return to [ 25 | January | 2003 ]

Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 20:41:22 PST8
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Peer install problem on eCS

Oh, and if you have to shorten your LIBPATH, SET PATH, SET DPATH or SET
HELP statements, I can help you there. I have a couple of REXX scripts
that create 4 new directories on C:\ (I presume that's your boot drive)
and then copy all the files in the directories that are pointed to in
these statements to those 4 directories. Then, you can temporarily
modify your CONFIG.SYS with (shorter) LIBPATH, SET PATH, SET DPATH or
SET HELP statements that point to the 4 new directories. You can boot on
that temporary CONFIG.SYS. The issue here (if you have the > 256
character problem) is that it's often hard to edit these lines to
shorter lengths by deleting some directories. If you try, you may find
that your system hangs during boot, because of some directory that you
thought was not important, or because of some program that's loading
behind the scene

Well, anyway, if you need help with the LIBPATH, SET PATH, SET DPATH or
SET HELP statements, just ask
HCM

Harry Chris Motin wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> Rocky,
>
> The Select Install for Networking is a verrrry tempermental program and
> it has a bug in it. I presume that the ECS version is still the same as
> the Warp 4 version????
>
> Anyhow, try the following:
>
> 1. Make sure that you have a period "." in both the LIBPATH and SET
> HELP statements in your CONFIG.SYS. They should look something like
> this:
>
> LIBPATH=C:\NETSCAPE\VERSION461\PROGRAM;C:\CDWFS;.;C:\MESA2\DLL
> SET HELP=C:\MPTN;.;C:\VT\SPCH_RO\HELP
>
> See the ";.;" in both statements, above. This tells a program to look in
> it's current directory for a desired file. I found that the selective
> install would just sit there, do nothing, unless I had the period in
> these 2 statements.
>
> 2. Make sure that all the lines in your CONFIG.SYS are less than 256
> characters long. The selective install will abort with an error, if any
> line >= 256 characters. Please note, you can not even have a "REM'ed"
> out line >= 256 characters. No line can be that long
>
> Hope this helps
> HCM
>
> _______________________________________________________________________________________________
>
> Michael Rakijas wrote:

> > If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> > may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> > REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
> >
> > Hi folks. Me again. Well, I'm still working to configure my test eCS machine
> > the same as my objective machine. I need to get peer working to aid moving
> > files around. I thought peer was installed at initial installation but that
> > didn't seem to be the case so I went to Wise Machine -> Selective Install ->
> > Networking -> First Time Installer. That seemed to get what I wanted in that
> > you got the box that you work from the bottom up and turns into check marks as
> > the things get properly configured (dash means not yet touched, and 'X' means
> > touched but not yet fully configured). The TCP/IP portion had all my previously
> > entered settings so I didn't think it a big deal even if it was reinstalled.
> >
> > Went though the process and no go yet. I went to MPTS and saw that NETBIOS was
> > not yet configured. I did that by naming the target workstation but that still
> > didn't work. When I tried "NET START PEER", I got a "The NETWKSTA.200 requester
> > driver is not yet installed" error. So back to Wise Machine -> Selective
> > Install -> Networking -> File and Print Client Install. The initial screen
> > comes up with the Peer install splash and buttons for OK, Exit and a couple of
> > others. I click OK and get a message of "OS/2 Peer Installation is checking or
> > updating files. Please wait...". Nothing happens no matter how long you wait.
> [...]

Return to [ 25 | January | 2003 ]