Return to [ 25 | January | 2003 ]

Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 10:27:36 PST8
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Template mystery - worse than I thought!

In <3E321CB2.9050200@san.rr.com>, on 01/25/03
at 02:16 AM, Tom Brown said:

>I tried cleanini without parameters, but from looking at the log file it
>created, it was going to delete hundreds of tiles from my hard drive!
>Cleanini.log excerpt:

You do not quite understand what cleanini does. It does not delete files.
It deletes file handles that are not otherwise referenced by the WPS.

The WPS creates a handle for every file or folder it references. The
handle is created the first time the file or folder is accessed so they
are essentially created on demand. There are good reasons for this
implementation. Browsing with the the drives object will create lots of
handles.

There a couple of issues with handles.

Sometimes the WPS forgets to delete the handle when the associated file or
folder is deleted. Checkini and unimaint can clean up these kinds of
errors.

Once a handle is created, the WPS will not delete the handle until the
file or folder is deleted even if no WPS object references the handle.
This tends to make the .INIs larger and can affect performance. cleanini
can find and delete these unused handles. This usually makes the WPS more
responsive. It's a safe operation because, the WPS will create a new
handle when it needs one.

I tend to be conservative and like to know what actually happens, so I run
cleanini interatively with:

cleanini /C /LogDel

until there are no more handles that can be deleted and then I reset the
WPS. There are switches to automate this it one wishes. With a decent
Desktop backup, cleanini is safe.

>I have had Unimaint for a long time, but never learned how to use it.

This is your problem.

>I hate to say this, but maybe it's time to re-install eCS!

I doubt this. A few conservative runs with Unimaint should clean up any
problem you have. Unimaint rescued Peter's .INIs and they were some of
the worst I have seen.

Steven

Return to [ 25 | January | 2003 ]