Return to [ 21 | January | 2003 ]

Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 12:33:06 PST8
From: "Info [at] SYNass.NET" <Info@SYNass.NET >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Setting up a LAN

Another hints to HCM:
Regarding the lines lenght in the CONFIG.SYS:
In the hospital I had time to study your presented CONFIG.SYS =

and noticed that you are using quite loooooong path names !?

In LIBPATH:
C:\NETSCAPE\VERSION461\PROGRAM
C:\BONUSPAK\RS231B
C:\MAINTENANCE\UNIMAINT
C:\REXX\FUTUREWAVEEDITOR\FWE_VERSION_225
C:\BONUSPAK\IBMWORKS
C:\MAINTENANCE\FILESTAR
C:\HYPERACCESSPRO
C:\MAINTENANCE\BACKAGAIN2000SERVER
c:\maintenance\norman\nvc\bin

In SET PATH:
C:\NETSCAPE\VERSION461\PROGRAM
C:\MAINTENANCE\GTU30
C:\REXX\FUTUREWAVEEDITOR\FWE_VERSION_225
C:\MAINTENANCE\FILESTAR
C:\HLP_AND_INF_UTILITIES\NEWVIEW
C:\HLP_AND_INF_UTILITIES\VYPERHELP
C:\MAINTENANCE\BACKAGAIN2000SERVER
C:\MAINTENANCE\SystemRecovery\CADCMDR
c:\maintenance\norman\nvc\bin

My suggestion is that you shorten as much you can i.e like following =

selfexplaining samples:

C:\BP\RS231B
C:\BP\IW
C:\HApro
C:\HIU\NewView
C:\HIU\VyperHELP
C:\NC4\16\Program
C:\REXX\FWE\225

C:\WS\BA2KS
C:\WS\FS
C:\WS\GTU\30
C:\WS\NVC\BIN
C:\WS\SYSrec\CADCcmdr

You see your pathes will be much shorter ;-)
As you notice above I have introduced the directory WS !!

I do have this directory WS =3D Workstation on each wortstation =

and each of this WS directory contains the following directories:

APPS containin i.e. BA2KWS\310a as system individual SW, normal APPS
and SW are in E:\OS2\LN\45 ie for Notes 4.5
* PAGING
* SPOOL
* SWAP
SYS containing i.e. Dani\S506\161
* SWAP
* TEMP
* TMP
TOOLS containing i.e. GTU\40 or FS\21

The pathes marked with a "star" are moved and changed from their =

original location in the root to this WS directory !

Well structured like this I do have a better overview where to place
and =

more important where to find again something specific !! ;-))

I know structuring these data and their directories is very individual
and =

personal: Please take this as hints ;-)

ONE another important thing I had noticed regarding the NETSCAPE pathes:
They have to be the FIRST entries on their pathes, even before the DOT
!!!

SET PATH=3DC:\NC4\61\Program;.;C:\MPTN;C:\TCP........

Well, I will stop here ;-)
Have a nice day !
svobi

=

steve53@earthlink.net on 21.01.2003 01.09.56
Please respond to scoug-help@scoug.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
cc: =

In <3E2B6F44.FEECEC64@attglobal.net>, on 01/19/03 =

at 07:38 PM, Harry Chris Motin said:

>Hi! Well, I THINK I finally installed Networking. The secret is that
you
>cannot have ANY lines in your CONFIG.SYS longer than 256 characters,

Yep. That's the requirement. This has been corrected in eCS/MCP.

>On my desktop I have a "Network Messaging" icon. My system boots up
with
>a message that "Network Messaging cannot continue until the Requester
>service is started".
>Next, I have now have a "Network" folder inside the desktop
>"Connections" folder. Inside that folder I have:

You seem to have installed the Requester and not Peer. This is another
install glitch. You should be able to fix it by reinstalling. You
should
not need to uninstall first. When you reinstall, be sure to select Peer
and not Requester. Also, do not change the default domain from IBMPEERS
during the install. Change it later. Use USERID and PASSWORD for the
User ID and Password. Whatever you enter will tend not to stick. There
may be a Mr. KIA article that covers this.

Steven

"Steven Levine" MR2/ICE 2.35 #10183
Warp4/FP15/14.085_W4
www.scoug.com irc.webbnet.org #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)