Return to [ 20 | January | 2003 ]

Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 23:13:20 PST8
From: Peter Skye <pskye@peterskye.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Local DSL on the move

J. R. Fox wrote:

> I don't know if any of you are still customers
> of Pac Bell DSL -- I think Peter *was* --

My DSL provider is Verizon, which originally was GTE. I've never been
with Pac Bell so can't help you on this.

*However*, remember that the DSL service, which is _hardware_, has
nothing to do with the ISP services which are _software_ (mail server,
newsgroups, personal home page, etc). You can use a Pac Bell DSL line
to access your accounts at any ISP. My own DSL is with Verizon but I
have non-Verizon ISP accounts that I use, and I also run my own outgoing
mail server.

Watch out for port blocking if you want to run a server. I'm adding a
short-term office in San Diego because I'll be down there Mon-Fri for a
few weeks beginning tomorrow and I'll be using cable from Cox.net rather
than DSL. Cox claims they block a bunch of ports including the SMTP
mail server port (25) which I need, but I tested with telnet and it's
not blocked so I _think_ I'll be up-and-running simply by plugging
everything in down there, including a firewall. I'll know in a few
hours . . .

If a DSL connection works with Win/Mac it should work with OS/2. The
only "catch" is that you can't get telephone support when installing or
troubleshooting. The problem I occasionally have with Verizon is when
the DSL line goes down I call up their tech support and get somebody
reading off a checklist who wants me to run a Windows program that tells
them what the setup is. (Verizon recently added an "Other Operating
Systems" selection to their telephone menu.)

I've never been able to get the Verizon DNS server to work properly. I
still use Earthlink's DNS, even though I've been with Verizon for almost
three years. If you have DNS problems just use somebody else's -- I've
tested with Earthlink, Concentric, 1stNetUSA and some others and all of
them work fine except Verizon's. The Verizon DNS has a 60-second delay
when requesting a mail dotted-decimal address. Don't know why; I've
spoken to Verizon tech support several times and nobody there has ever
heard of this problem.

- Peter

Return to [ 20 | January | 2003 ]