Return to [ 29 | July | 2003 ]

Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:30:32 PDT7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: utility to convert records to lines ?

In <3F269986.6EBA@peterskye.com>, on 07/29/03
at 08:57 AM, Peter Skye said:

>Yes, this was done on purpose. The code to write the records to an
>output file would be identical in both cases, hence including it in the
>benchmark would be irrelevant.

The code would be identical, but the system I/O (i.e. head movement,
caching etc.) would be very different. It would only help the buffered
method.

Here's some results with output file I/O included:

---- Seconds (uSec/Rec) to Read ---- Speed File
Size Record Size Individual Records Buffered Records Ratio ==========
=========== ================== ================ =====

1000000 10 20.500000 11.110000
1000000 100 2.130000 1.190000
1000000 1000 1.150000 0.250000
1000000 10000 0.090000 0.110000

2000000 10 42.200000 22.580000
2000000 100 4.290000 2.440000
2000000 1000 0.800000 0.420000
2000000 10000 0.570000 0.200000

4000000 10 84.360000 46.090000
4000000 100 8.730000 4.950000
4000000 1000 2.250000 0.830000
4000000 10000 1.040000 0.450000

8000000 10 168.250000 92.620000
8000000 100 17.490000 9.870000
8000000 1000 5.180000 1.740000
8000000 10000 2.610000 1.150000

16000000 10 339.650000 187.320000
16000000 100 35.640000 19.700000
16000000 1000 9.420000 3.320000
16000000 10000 6.000000 1.800000

Except for the 1000000/10000 case which I don't yet understand, the
buffered method retains its overall advantage longer.

Steven

Return to [ 29 | July | 2003 ]