Return to [ 14 | July | 2003 ]

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:43:09 PDT7
From: Steve Carter <scarter@vcnet.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Where can I get a monitor fixed?

Below is a re-post of a message on the same subject.
There are at least two more in the archive, if it's
now accessible. Look around 3/5 or 3/6/03 for messages
from Peter and Jordan. Or I'll mail 'em to you if you
ask offlist.

(I don't know of a place near Diamond Bar.)

-- Steve who JUST returned (last night).

-------------------------------------
On 7/14/03, Robert Blair wrote, in part:

>I have an IBM P200 monitor that needs fixing.
>Anyone know a good place (I live in Diamond Bar).

=====================================
Steve's re-post from 10/7/02:

The monitor repair place is:

CD Electronic
4424 San Fernando Rd
Glendale, CA 91204

818/241-3495
818/241-3498 FAX

www.cde.cc

It's a small building set back from the street a bit,
near the corner (not very impressive facilities).

They're real conscientious and can fix almost
anything worth fixing.

Proprietor's name is Dragan. Disposal is always an issue,
I offered him my flaky 17" Nokia 447 for parts, and he
accepted. You might strike a similar deal. I've moved up
to 19" Mitsubishi and Hitachi monitors, but even those
are getting kinda old now.

--Steve

I've been eyeing some 18" flat panels, but waiting for prices
to fall to the levels of 15" monitors today.
Maybe in another year or two....

A CRT failure before then might provoke me
to take the plunge sooner.

+++++++++++
On 10/7/02, JR wrote, in part:
>Hi Steve,
>
>You may recall our conversion about local computer repair facilities
>at the last meeting. I am still interested in that list. (There _may
>not be_ any places I would be willing to take my computer to -- if it
>could possibly be avoided -- other than the live Help Desk, and not
>just because of OS/2, although that is certainly part of it.)
>However, sometimes other things might be in need of repair. I already
>found a pretty good place in Moorpark for hard drives & DAT backup
>units. Actually, given the cost of replacement hard drives vs.
>service, the former scenario would likely be reserved for some
>emergency recovery situation I doubt I'll get into anyway. With the
>DAT drive they checked out, the expected cost made sense, and in the
>end they charged me nothing.
>
>I seem to recall you specifically mentioning something about a place
>that does monitors. My 21 " CRT is showing signs that its power
>supply is beginning to have some problems. In case this gets a lot
>worse &/or declines quickly, I would like to have some options lined
>up. The damn thing weighs 85 lbs. and I'm not even sure I can lift it
>off the desk, whenever it may come to that. It is probably long
>overdue that I bought a good hand truck ! There would be some points
>in favor of having it repaired, if & when, as long as the price is not
>totally ridiculous. (This is an Iiyama, which does have a factory
>service station in O.C., though I've heard their turnaround time is
>long.) I rely on some older DOS programs -- in particular, my word
>processor -- which have some serious display issues with the flat
>panel monitor technologies. Otherwise, I would be willing to make
>that change, and cost would not deter me from getting one of the
>better 18" or larger panels. The ones I've used elsewhere were hardly
>top-notch models, but they also switched between running windows /
>sessions slowly enough to be annoying.
>
>There is also the disposal issue. How do you get rid of a monitor
>like this, in an environmentally responsible way, once it is judged
>not worth repairing ?
>
>I had a couple other questions for you, I think, but they've slipped
>my mind for the moment. >Jordan

Return to [ 14 | July | 2003 ]