Return to [ 13 | July | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:56:03 PDT7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Resolv2 file

In <200307121135.1147083.11@scoug.com>, on 07/12/03
at 11:35 AM, "Harry Motin" said:

I was hoping someone would give you the correct answer for this. Oh well.

>I'm trying to make sure that my TCPIP configuration is correct. I'm
>having a problem with the resolv2 file, which is used to configure the
>"Hostname" tab in the TCPIP Configuration Notebook.

No, it's not. RESOLV2 contains your dialup domain name and your dialup
nameserver IPs. RESOLV2 is configured by the configuration notebook for
whatever dialer you use and is temporarily updated whenever you dial into
your ISP.

>Specifically, I
>cannot make a permanent change to resolv2. If I try to change anything it
>goes right back to what it was before at the next bootup.

Change it how? With a text editor? Those changes will stick, as long as
you don't have a dialup connection going when you make the changes.

>192.168.0.1 is the IP address for my router. I don't think my router is a
>nameserver, so I would to change the resolv2 file.

This is probably left over from the days when you used Injoy for dialup.

FWIW, routers usually have mini-nameservers.

>Can anyone help with making a permanent change this this file?

Yes. What do you need it set to?

>Why does
>it change back to the above upon bootup?

Probably because you never really changed it.

>and other files for the above entries. Other than the
>C:\MPTN\ETC\SENDMAIL.* files, I cannot find "pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com"
>anywhere else.

The values are probably just plain wrong which will make it hard to make
sense of them. The values are only valid when you are dialed into your
ISP. When you are not, the values will be whatever they were when you
were not dialed into you ISP and because thats how the TCP/IP dialers tend
to work. The values could be could be anything.

Steven

Return to [ 13 | July | 2003 ]