Return to [ 23 | July | 2003 ]

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:08:56 PDT7
From: "Dr. Jeffrey Race" <jrace@attglobal.net >
To: < "scoug-help@scoug.com" > scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: More mysteries on COM1 (TP 600X) RESOLVED

Thanks especially to Brian, Bruce and Julian, we solved what stumped the IBM
tech.

The 600X lacks a GUI TP configuration utility; you have to use the PS2
CLI utility. Unfortunately there is no help or readme for this utility.

It turns out not only must you turn on the COM port [PS2 SE ON], you must
also ENABLE it [PS2 SERA E]. This works for both DOS and OS/2 (in fact
OS/2 uses the DOS CLI utility in a DOS box). When you reboot, it works.

You discover this by printing out the 50 pages of the error message file
x:\>THINKPAD\PS2.MSG which is not intended to be printed out.

This has taken all day :(

Jeffrey Race

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:01:40 +0700, Dr. Jeffrey Race wrote:
>At first the serial port on the rear of the 600X would not work in Win98
>(default OEM install), DOS, or OS/2. (I have three partitions using Boot
>Magic.)
>>An IBM tech had me boot to Win98, UNINSTALL the COM port, and re-install it.
>Now I can access a modem on the rear serial connector from a DOS box in Win98.
>>However from the DOS partition I cannot access the serial port on the rear
>i.e. PROCOMM sees nothing. If I run MODE COM1 I get back "illegal device
>name - COM1" which I interpret to mean this port is not active. This is true
>even if I boot without an AUTOEXEC.BAT or CONFIG.SYS file. However PS2 ? SE
>shows that the serial port is ON.
>>In OS/2 I get
>
> [C:\]mode com2
> SYS0021: The drive is not ready.
>>(COM1 on the OS/2 partition is the PC Card modem.)
>>How can this be and what can I do to get my serial port back in DOS and
>OS/2?>

Return to [ 23 | July | 2003 ]