Return to [ 12 | July | 2003 ]

Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 10:14:29 PDT7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: forged Failure Notice

Steven replied:

> forged failure notice is a new infection technique.

Not all that new. I've seen plenty of variations on this gambit, over
the last 3 years.
The most insidious ones mimic the official looking Failed Delivery /
Returned Mail
notice. Those I can't take a chance on, and just have to inspect, but
I do so by reading
the raw Inbox mail file with ZTree, which isn't going to execute
anything.

> The executable midi attachment should have given you a clue.

Gee, I've been getting a smattering of those for years, and always
wondered what the
hell it might be, and what was the point of someone I never heard of
sending it, usually
within some Spam. I mean, it seems antithetical to the goal of
pitching some bogus
product, which is the whole point of 99.9 % of Spam. Anyway, usually
the midi
attachments I'd get were so very small, it couldn't be much of a tune,
and probably not
that much of a virus, either. Trojans or worms . . . I dunno. But
I've opened a few of
those, just out of curiosity and always in OS/2, on the assumption
they would be
totally ineffective in this environment. Nothing has ever happened,
including NO
Music, and I've done a virus sweep afterwards each time.

Jordan

Return to [ 12 | July | 2003 ]