Return to [ 13 | July | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:17:02 PDT7
From: "Harry Motin" <hmotin@sbcglobal.net >
To: < "scoug-help@scoug.com" > scoug-help@scoug.com > ,
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Resolv2 file

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:56:03 PDT7, Steven Levine wrote:

>No, it's not. RESOLV2 contains your dialup domain name and your dialup
>nameserver IPs. RESOLV2 is configured by the configuration notebook for
>whatever dialer you use and is temporarily updated whenever you dial into
>your ISP.

Steven,

Sorry! Your comments are not according to my reading on the subject and contrary
they are my experience. I am NOT using a dialer any more, so that's not even in the
equation. I am strictly using always ON DSL. Also, I've been doing quite a lot of
reading on it (OS/2 news groups, Internet letters and OS/2 help and inf files). None of
the reading mentions that resolv2 is for dial ups

On my system the resolv2 file gets re-created at each and every boot up. And as a
result of that I cannot place a route command in the setup.cmd file (that is, add a new
route). If I do, upon bootup I get the following message:

Routing command failed and is ignored; File exists. Press enter to continue

Maybe not exact words, but very close. The Internet reading I've done says that its
because of the existence of the resolv2 file.

Anyway every boot up the resolve2 file has the following in it:

domain pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
nameserver 192.168.0.1

Now, this is true! Just before I sent this email to you, I did a search for all the resolv*
files on my system. I found one in C:\MPTN\ETC and the other in C:\TCPIP\DOS\ETC
(the first one was resolv2 and the other was resolv). I changed the filenames on both
of those files by giving them an extension. I doubled checked to make sure that my
changes took affect. Then I rebooted. After the reboot I had a new resolv2 file in
C:\MPTN\ETC (in addition to the renamed file). It has the above 2 lines in it (again).
The one in C:\TCPIP\..., remained as I had changed and no new file was created
there.

On my system something is creating a C:\MPTN\ETC\resolv2 file at bootup and with
the same to entries in it. What I want to know is what's doing it. How does it know to
use those 2 entries. The only thing that I can figure is that its part of the dynamic IP
program. I have the command,

dhcpstrt -i lan0

in my setup file. The only thing I can think of (short of an *.INI file somewhere that I
don't know about) is that the OS/2 DHCP gets the information from my router, which
has the IP address of 192.168.0.1 and "pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com" is contained in the
router setup program. I know that my system is successfully getting an dynamic
address from that router every bootup. But, specifically what's happening on the
re-creation of resolv2 is stumping me!

Harry

Return to [ 13 | July | 2003 ]