Return to [ 31 | July | 2003 ]

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:49:04 PDT7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: ZTBold won't close

Jack Huffman wrote:

> I tried to look at C:\chkdsk.log with ZTBold.
>
> The scren just says "wait" and the spinner keeps going around despite a
> number of attempts to close the window via the button on the window and
> the window list.

I've never seen that with this particular file. Are you sure it's not locked or
still open and in use ? It shouldn't be, unless something else is going wrong.

Where I have seen this behavior in ZTree -- and I think it's a longstanding bug
or design oversight -- is that on attemtping to VIEW the contents of _certain_
file archives, ZTree will go into this "trance" mode, with the spinner running
endlessly. At this point, you have no option but to *kill* the Archiver utility
ZTree has called (this will be PKZIP 2.5 for OS/2, in almost every case, on my
system), and sometimes possibly the running ZTree as well. In my experience,
the offending file tends to be a self-extracting Zip, with the .EXE extension, or
once in awhile a bona fide .EXE executable. It's as though they didn't want you
to be able to look inside, but I'm sure that's not really what's going on.

When this has happened, there was often a sudden, mysterious drop in the free
space on my boot drive. On inspection, I will find that a .TMP file has been
created by ZTree as a result of the spinner going haywire. On some occasions, it
reached sizes like 42 meg., one of the things that made it pretty easy to find. I
would
very much like to see the author put in a safeguard to keep this from happening.

If necessary, I'm sure I can locate a couple miscreant files to upload as samples.

Steven, you have the inside track on this. Maybe you can put a word in to Kim ?

> What can I do other thn let the computer run until (maybe) os/2 shuts down
> ZTBold?

This is just reason # 137 why everyone should have a capable Process Killer installed.

There is that native KILLFEATUREenabled setting, but I've never found it to
measure up to what you get from WATCHCAT, PROCESS COMMANDER, or
CTRL-ALT-DELETE COMMANDER.

Jordan

Return to [ 31 | July | 2003 ]