Return to [ 12 | July | 2003 ]

Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:22:10 PDT7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: a very delayed reply

From time to time, an issue of the Help List Digest never got to me,
and
therefore I missed out on whatever responses would have been in that
issue.
I did mention this when it happened -- the last such incident might
have been
in April. In any case, many thanks are in order to Rollin and whoever
else
deserves the credit for putting the SCOUG Resource Index online,
including
the restoration of most of the Mail List Archive material that had
been lost
for awhile ! This has allowed me to finally catch up with some
missing replies.

In mid-April, I mentioned some lagging-or-confused-Focus type problems
in
my Warp 4 / FP-9 partition. This remains my primary OS/2 partition:
it's the
oldest, and has by far the most "stuff" installed into it. It is
thoroughly debugged
by now, very reliable for the most part, and quite familiar to me.
Once upon a
time, W3 @ FP-35 was the main work partition, and W4 the experimental
one.
Eventually, the balance shifted, W3 was dispensed with, W4 became the
standard
one, and eCS became the experimental OS/2 partition. The latter is
still only about
1/3 as well equipped. (Some of that is probably just inertia.)
Clearly, I don't make
major changes here in any hurry ! The two partitions serve as
Maintenance for each
other, although nothing has come up in a long time that resulted in
one or the other
becoming unbootable.

eCS 1.1 is out now (although Mensys is sending mine by Yak train over
the Carpathians,
so I don't actually have it yet) and it will replace the eCS 1.0. At
some point, it will
likely become the main OS/2 partition.

In regard to my reported Focus problems, Steven said it was likely
just FP-9 level
glitches that got corrected in subsequent fixpacks. And Svobi replied
to me:

> I assume your driver packs are up to date !
> Is there a specific reason that you keep on FP9 ?

If it ain't broke, why mess with it . . . ? No, actually, I recall
discussions to the
effect that if one wasn't going to cross the "MCP divide", a good
place to stop was
FP-12. Others reported some problems with that FP, but I guess that
always happened.
I can't recall exactly what it was, but it seems to me there were some
key system default
behaviors that changed after FP-12 (perhaps involving removeable media
??), which I
DID NOT wish to buy into. Maybe Peter, or someone else who is more of
an OS/2
historian, can refresh our memories here. However, in my use of eCS
to date, I'm not
especially aware of any such issue that I happen to be tripping over .
. . .

> As I have learnt FP12 shall be the best level before it changes
> to the newer ones and my suggestion would be updating to FP12
> i.e with the WarpUP CD !

What did you learn re FP-12 ? I probably do have that Warpup cd here,
and may
just update this partition, in due course.

Jordan

Return to [ 12 | July | 2003 ]