Return to [ 22 | July | 2003 ]

Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:23:32 PDT7
From: "Dr. Jeffrey Race" <jrace@attglobal.net >
To: < "scoug-help@scoug.com" > scoug-help@scoug.com > ,
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Need help testing serial port on TP 600X

I think there is a hardware failure of the serial port on the rear of
my Thinkpad 600X but can find no way to test it. Unlike the 600E, the
600X includes no test routine in Easy-Setup; the manual says to use PC
Doctor when booted to Win98. However PC Doctor appears to have no
test routine for the serial port that I can find.

So I am casting about for ideas how to test so I can if necessary
return the unit to IBM for warranty service.

From a DOS prompt I get:

22:20 H:\THINKPAD>ps2 se on

OK

which suggests the serial port is activated in the BIOS. However I
cannot use it to access any hardware device.

So, first, am I missing anything about activating the port?

Second, assuming the port is theoretically active, how may I test?
I'd welcome recommendations for port-testing software and wiring diagrams
for a loopback plug which I could make with my breakout box.

If someone has a small testing program, feel free to e-mail as attachment.
(Or, point me to a d/l URL.)

I can boot this machine to Win98, Win3.11 and OS/2 Warp 4.

Thanks for all help.

Jeffrey Race

Return to [ 22 | July | 2003 ]