Return to [ 11 | July | 2003 ]

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:08:26 PDT7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Shuttle

This is intended for Greg (I hope you at least lurk on this List), re
the small form factor Shuttle XPC you brought to the last meeting.
I'm guessing it was the SS51G model, though I suppose it could have
been one of the ones for an AMD processor. It is just the SS51G, the
SS51G (V. 2.0) which apparently adds firewire support (useless for
OS/2, unfortunately) and a built-in Nic, while apparently dropping the
add-on Parallel Port option, and the latest SS61G2 that I've been
reading up on lately, so I don't know if there are any configuration
differences in their AMD-based series. But I do recall your saying
that -- so far -- you had found all onboard accoutrements to have
adequate support for OS/2, at least on the model you got. It may be a
different story for some of the other models.

I'll probably have some other questions, but the immediate one I have
is: What else _besides_ a floppy drive could one put in the
accessible 3.5" bay ? Preferably something *bootable*, so that would
tend to rule out an LS-120 option. I notice they sell an optional USB
2.0 flash card reader that looks like it could fit in that space, but
I don't know if such a device is bootable for OS/2.

O.K., another question. I know you can put a burner in the 5.25" bay,
and then burn either CDs or DVDs, depending on the drive you get. But
is it possible to duplicate them, having just the one drive ? Is that
a function of whether you're using RSJ, or Nero, or whatever ? I've
always had both a CD reader and a CD-burner in my full-size system.
It may be that some of these burner programs have something equivalent
to the old DISKCOPY A: A: we used to use for floppies, with just
one FDD.

Jordan

Return to [ 11 | July | 2003 ]