Return to [ 00 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 11:48:45 +0100
From: "Info 4 SYNass" <Info@SYNass.NET >
Subject: Re: SCOUG-Help: Re: Wayne's IDE... IMPORTANT: Sorry my TYPO ;-(

Sorry, somehow I mistyped the CYL's:

It shall be CYL 4865 instead of CAL 4868 !!!

Kind regards,
svobi

=

Info@SYNass.NET

01.06.2003 10:53:38

Please respond to scoug-help@scoug.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com, waynec@linkline.com
cc: =

Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Wayne's IDE... IMPORTANT

=

??????????????????
??????????????????

Hi Wayne
your circle seems starting closing ;-)

My environment displays following:

BIOS - Standard CMOS Features:
-> IDE Primary Slave: WSC400EB-00CPF0
AUTO / LBA
40018 MB
CAL 4868
HEAD 255
PRECOMP 0
LZ 19157
SECTOR 63

BIOS - Integrated Periphery:
Slave Drive PIO Mode =3D AUTO

Since your new 40GB isn't used yet ...
=2E.. you may set accordingly and then re-FDISK and re-FORMAT your disk =

in that way you want have it !? =

What's Steven's opinon / Suggestion here ?

Wishing you good luck ;-)

Kind regards, svobi

waynec@linkline.com on 01.06.2003 06:56:28
Please respond to scoug-help@scoug.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
cc: =

PS.... important info =

I ran PQmagic ver 5's ptedit program to look at the 40gb ide drive
again =

after my inability to boot the installation diskettes. Then I looked at
the =

bios. Then I looked at the WDC drive specs on their website (since the
info =

that came in the box doesn't give these specs). I was astounded to find
that =

NONE of them seem to match! =

So, what did I do that caused the mismatches? =

The AMD's Phoenix - AwardBIOS setup utility shows the IDE Primary
Master =

drive as a WDC WD400BB-00DKA0. That gave me confidence (apparently
false =

confidence) originally that the drive was properly recognized. I did
not get =

drive specs in the drive box. Nor did I get a a bios manual with the =

barebones, and didn't find one at the WDC website, so I have to guess
at the =

meaning of some of the available settings. =

The drive is set up as primary master, with IDE HDD Auto-Detection.

"Primary Master" can be set as "None", "Auto", or "Manual", and is set
as =

"Auto", which was WDC's recommendation. =

"Access Mode" can be set to any of 4 values: "CHS", "LBA", "Large", or =

"Auto", and is set as "Auto"...
WDC didn't mention this setting.
I now see, in going over the WDC install instructions, that they
recommend =

"LBA", although that doesn't seem to change anything. =

An Auto-detection (whether Access Mode is "auto" or "CHS" or "LBA"
shows:
Capacity 40022 mb
Cylinder 19158
Head 16
Precomp 0
Landg Zone 19157
Sector 255 =

if I change "Acess Mode" value to "Large", and re-Auto-detect the
drive, =

"Cylinder" changes to 1277 (WOW!!!), otherwise the values are the same
for =

all settings of Access Mode after doing an auto-detect. =

The PQmagic ver 5 ptedit program inexplicably showed the drive
differently =

on two tries, one before I started looking at the drive in the bios and
with =

the ptedit program, and then after I looked in the bios, even though
the =

bios showed everything the same both times. =

I lost the PQmagic ptedit values after the first time I booted PQmagic,
so I =

booted PQmagic again. =

This time PQmagic showed the drive as having an error: "the length of
the =

partition in the partition table is incorrect, The CHS length is
16435440, =

the LBA length is 4104513, and the File System length is 4104513.
Partition =

Magic has determined that the length can be changed to the correct
value of =

4112577". If I don't let it change the value (which I didn't on the
second =

bootup of PQmagic), it shows me a partition error 110 on the display of
the =

drive. I must have changed SOMETHING without knowing it.... come to
think =

about it, I may have pushed the "Boot record" button on my first use of =

ptedit, wondering what that showed, but it didn't show me anything so I =

thought nothing happened. Wrong! =

So, I let it "correct" things on the third bootup. =

Earlier it was showing me the drive as "Disk 1 - 5910 mb", with the
first =

partition as 2008 mb. After letting it correct the drive the third
bootup, =

it showed it as "Disk 1 - 38162 MB 4865 cyl, 255 heads, 63 sectors per =

track" with the same 2008 mb first partition. Ptedit now shows the
partition =

as: =

Type 07 ...defined as "Installable File Sytem (NTFS, HPFS)"
Boot 00
Cyl 0
Head 1
Sector 1
Ending Cyl 255
Head 254
Sector 63
Sectors before 63
Sectors 4112577 =

Those numbers looked good, but they don't seem to match the bios.
Sorry, I =

lost the numbers I got the first time I ran ptedit after I had tried to
use =

the Install diskettes ($#%^@ ISP email bounced me off after I wrote 'em =

down!!!), the partition type was the same, but I don't know for certain =

whether the other numbers were the same. =

So, since there were no specs in the box the WDC drive came in, and I
wasn't =

sure the numbers above matched, I went to the WDC website to find their =

specs to determine which was correct... the numbers I found there
didn't =

appear to match either set.... =

Cylinders 16383
Heads 16
Sectors/Track 63
Landing Zone 16383
WPC 16383
=

So, I am thinking, since I don't have any data on the 40gb ide drive,
that I =

should alter the bios "IDE Primary Master" to "Manual" instead of
"Auto", =

and "Access Mode" to "CHS" and fill in the WDC website values (except I =

don't know what the bios parameter "Precomp" means). =

Steven, what do you think? (enough detail this time?) =

Svobi, what does your bios show for your WDC 40gb drive? =

Harry? =

Ray? =

Anybody else have a WDC 40gb drive they can check? =

Thanks again for your time and advice,
Wayne =

(thought I was taking today off, didn't work out that way)

Return to [ 00 | June | 2003 ]