Return to [ 00 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 20:54:07 +0100
From: "Info 4 SYNass" <Info@SYNass.NET >
Subject: Re: SCOUG-Help: Re: values mismatch {was: Wayne's ide... IMPORTANT}

Hi Jordan
I believe, suddenly remebered now, that Wayne had answered YES to =

Partition Magic's question of repairing his new HDD !?
I wouldn't let PM repair !!!

I assume this has caused him some extra troubles !?

BTW: I am also using DI and would also miss it if I couldn't use it
anymore ;-(

But DFSee is a very good utility already !!!
Technically I believe it van compete with DI & PM but it's missing a
fine GUI ;-|

You wrote:

>I'd like to have a better, more specific grasp of what *not* =

>to do here (along the lines of 'never FDISK or PQ or _____ =

>in an LVM environment' if that's what it must come down to).

I do fully agree with this !!!
Knowing the importants "avoids" or "musts" is easier to =

get the things running properly ;-)

Thanks and regards
svobi

=

jr_fox@pacbell.net on 02.06.2003 20:14:53
Please respond to scoug-help@scoug.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
cc: =

Wayne wrote:

> This time PQmagic showed the drive as having an error: "the length of
the
> partition in the partition table is incorrect, The CHS length is
16435440,
> the LBA length is 4104513, and the File System length is 4104513.
Partition
> Magic has determined that the length can be changed to the correct
value of
> 4112577". If I don't let it change the value (which I didn't on the
second
> bootup of PQmagic), it shows me a partition error 110 on the display
of the
> drive.

I think I still see a similar message (except for that last part)
whenever I use
Drive Image 4 or PQ 6. IIRC, Tony said something to the effect that
this is
related to how OS/2 reckons the drive layout vs. how the
(Windows-centric)
Powerquest tools view it. It's been awhile, and I'm trying to
remember, but I
think I have to let the PQ tools do their "synch-up" of the LBA and CHS
values, before they are willing to proceed on their merry way, and that
this has
caused no evident problems so far. (Steven, if you have a different
take on this,
I'd certainly like to hear it !) OTOH, when the PQ programs also
volunteer to
change the partition types, I am watching for this, and my answer is
"Hell NO !"

There is one treacherous place where PQ 6 just goes ahead and does it
anyway.
Probably when you install it into Win -- I don't recall. We tripped
over that badly
on the last system migration. It was annoying and outrageous enough,
having the
whole damn drive suddenly go invisible as far as OS/2 is concerned,
that I almost
uninstalled PQ (one probably should not be relying on this program run
from Win,
*anyway* . . . ), but I settled for renaming the executable and killing
the shortcuts.

OS/2 put those turkeys on the map, back in their early days, and this
is how they
repay us ?!

Steven replied to Wayne:

> You used different drivers. The mismatches are not an issues as long
as
> you use only tools that choose the same geometry.

Are we talking about the same thing?

I'd like to have a better, more specific grasp of what *not* to do here
(along the
lines of 'never FDISK or PQ or _____ in an LVM environment' if that's
what it must =

come down to). I still use DI, and don't want to give it up. =

Partitition Magic
is something I very rarely use, and then most likely on someone else's
all-Win system, =

but it's good to have on hand if you need it. I think it is apt to be
quite a long =

wait, if ever, before DFSEE can do everything that PQ can do, or match
its ease of use.
Jordan

Return to [ 00 | June | 2003 ]