Return to [ 00 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 09:42:59 -0700
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
Subject: Re: SCOUG-Help: Re: Wayne's ide... IMPORTANT

In <20030601084243.51421.qmail@courtney.linkline.com>, on 06/01/03
at 01:42 AM, waynec@linkline.com said:

>OK, I now at least have the bios and the PQmagic ver 5 ptedit program
>agreeing on the head and sector counts.

For posterity, what are the head and sector counts that they agree on? :-)

>This time it booted to the Welcome screen!! Yea!

Finally, some progress. :-)

>So the partition formatting may have been the problem with the diskettes
>prior to your recent changes, and possibly because of the bios/PQmagic
>differences on the drive geometry.

Possibly. I'm a bit surprised that this prevent Warp from booting, but I
had a plan to handle this in case it did.

>Next step? (going to bed now, I'll do more tomorrow)

The first next thing is to tell use if you needed to do any of the other
driver replacements I described in the other thread.

FWIW, it's not a good idea to generate multiple subject threads for the
same problem. It makes it harder to review history.

The next next thing is to update the install diskettes with the most
recent versions of:

IBM1S506.ADD
OS2CDROM.DMD
OS2DASD.DMD
IBMIDECD.FLT

Save copies of the orginals, just in case. Make sure you can still boot.

The next next thing is to get back some space on the diskettes. REM out
the "extra" CD-ROM filter drivers:

basedev=hitcds1.flt
basedev=neccds1.flt
basedev=sonycds1.flt
basedev=toshcds1.flt

If you happen to need on of these, it will be obvious when you test boot.
If you do, un-REM the required driver.

Once all this works, you can start deleting the REM'ed drivers from the
diskette. There's no hurry to do this, but this will free up space that
can be better used for other purposes. I'm pretty sure your SCSI drive
will be invisible to the boot diskettes, so we will need to add a driver.
We might also want to switch to DANIS506. In some situations, it will
perform better than IBM1S506. If you want to test DANIS506 before trying
to bring the system into production, let me know. Switching later should
be no problem either.

Post copies of your final snoop.lst and config.sys here.

Now, boot from the install diskettes. One of the first screens with allow
you to use F3 to drop to the command line. There will be a prompt on the
status line. Drop to the command line and run fdisk. Make sure it sees
all 40GB of the drive. Let us know the results.

Post the results of:

fdisk /query:all

here. Redirect the output to a work diskette.

The plan is to use Warp's fdisk to do all partitioning, format the FAT and
HPFS partition and then bring the SCSI drive on line.

At that point we will make sure we are backed up do some final driver
tweaks. In your spare time, get a copy of jjscdrom and daniatapi from
Hobbes. These might provide some performance improvements.

Steven

Return to [ 00 | June | 2003 ]