Return to [ 16 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 18:30:15 PDT7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Installing Warp4 on AMD with IDE and SCIS (was LinkSys Router settings0

In <20030616235124.9530.qmail@courtney.linkline.com>, on 06/16/03
at 04:51 PM, waynec@linkline.com said:

>That does appear to be what happened. I disconnected the scsi cable and
>the tailored install diskettes booted. I'll attach an fdisk /query:all
>of the ide disk done from the booted diskettes.

OK, but it's not terribly useful since the goal is to get the SCSI and the
IDE working together.

>Too true, old age and impatience are a terrible combination around
>computers.

Yep. It's easy to recognize the problem because I have it myself at
times.

>I intended to clone all the partitions with the same drive letters.

OK. Then that's what we will work towards.

>All the applications and all the drive letters are available on the
>cloned scsiWarp partition on the AMD, and they work.... when the ide
>40gb drive is powered off, otherwise I can't boot that cloned scsiWarp
>partition, no matter how I hide or unhide partitions to get the drive
>letters set up to make scsiWarp the D: drive.

Fix the driver issue and the others will solve themselves.

>But, we are now discussing several problems in this thread...

Consider this fixed. I had hoped that the person originating this thread
would break up the replys by topic. I guess not. :-)

>An offshoot of problem 2 was my attempt to tailor a set of install
>diskettes that would work with the 40gb ide on the AMD, so I could use
>them to make alterations to the scsiWarp cloned partition to try to get
>it to recognize and use the ide 40gb drive. Except I never got them to
>be able to boot on the AMD when the scsi drive is cabled in. Incomplete

Without a working set of boot diskettes that see both drives properly, you
will never make much progress. You need to focus on this.

>I had tried, as I said previously, to put the dani drivers on the install
> diskettes, but that got me into trouble later when I tried to install
>Warp on the AMD from the Warp cdrom (that program couldn't find the
>cdrom, and when I fixed that issue, it then insisted on ibm1s506.add). I
>have been using the dani drivers on the P2 for several years. So, what
>do you suggest

Build a set of install diskettes with danis506.add and the aicu160.add.
We'll will fix the boot and install failures one step at a time. There's
nothing you've mentioned that can not be handled with a piece of paper
that documents the special handling that you might need to do.

Let me know where the boot/install process fails.

>(I thought everybody uses the dani drivers these days)?

When they work, Dani's drivers are a better choice. There are still
systems out there that will only work with IBM1S506.

>So, all it has to be is a bootable primary partition anywhere on any
>drive?

Nope. Warp4 can boot just fine from a logical.

>I'm not sure how it becomes a D: drive except by having another

A partition becomes D: because it's the 2nd partition that OS2DASD.DMD
assigns a drive letter to. This is going to be the 2nd visible primary or
if there's only one visible primary, it's going to be the first visible
logical.

>it's a primary partition and it's in bootmanager, that any other primary
>partitions that are put in bootmanager become invisible upon booting

Warp allows at most one primary per drive to be visible.

Steven

Return to [ 16 | June | 2003 ]