Return to [ 21 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 11:43:58 PDT7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Print Job Mystery

> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:45:24 PDT7, Steven Levine wrote:
>
> >>1. Are you low on disk space?
> >
> >Good possibility or the SPOOL path is pointing to somewhere non-existant.
> >
> >Use Desktop -> System Setup -> Spooler to check the properties.
>
> I have checked properties and I find no option to enable/disable
> spooler. Every printer object now says spooler disabled, and it
> is tying up my entire machine when I print.
>
> How do I re-enable the spooler? There is plenty of space on the
> drive where \SPOOL resides.
>
> Jeffrey Race

I have seen this problem myself, intermittently. Don't know the cause or the cure.
No disk space problem, no reason to believe anything's wrong with the spool path.
It seems to be associated with an app. that can't print, for whatever reason. GhostView
prints for me reliably in my ECS 1.0 partition, yet a seemingly identical installation of
it never has in my older Warp 4 partition. The ODIN-ified Acrobat 4.05 I just put into
ECS ain't printing, and I can't see why. I've had PMVIEW balk at printing a few times,
in either partition. In some of these cases, the print job _does_ turn up in the spooler,
which means a COPY /B xyz.fil >PRN should serve up the print job, in a roundabout
way. In other cases, the print job just vanishes into thin air. When that happens, and I
check into it, it may well be that the spooler turns up deactivated, with that error message.

I have seen a similar result on occasion when the printer ran out of paper. Restocking the
paper and hitting the printer's "continue" button goes nowhere, the light keeps blinking
indefinitely, and no print job resumes. (If it's something like an Epson inkjet, you're
not supposed to turn it off in this state, but sometimes you might have little choice.) If
this situation comes up, there is a good chance I will find the spooler mysteriously disabled,
presumably related somehow to this occurrence.

Jordan

Return to [ 21 | June | 2003 ]