Return to [ 00 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 06:19:57 GMT
From: waynec@linkline.com
Subject: Re: SCOUG-Help: Re: Wayne's ide... IMPORTANT

Steven Levine writes:

> at 04:02 PM, waynec@linkline.com said:
>
>>I still have to work on getting a working set of utility diskettes,
>>though.
>
> You have a working set of utility diskettes. The boot diskette will do
> just fine as utility diskettes. It's not time to delete the excess files
> from the diskettes. This should give you room to copy the utilities such
> as:
>
> fdisk.com
> format.com
> attrib.exe
>
> to diskette 3.

I spent most of today working on getting my P2 to connect to the Netware
server (still no luck), but I did some more work on the install diskettes,
also.

I think I now have a good set of install diskettes with the latest programs,
I could find on my system. But I was not able to find an ibm1s506.add newer
than 6/16/2000... my search of the IBM DD Pak site, or of Google was
fruitless; perhaps someone can direct me to a place I can download a later
version.

I set up the install diskettes with dani drivers in place of the IBM
drivers.
I also made a copy of the last utility diskette and updated it with later
programs where applicable, so I think the install diskettes are essentially
interchangeable with utility diskettes at this point.

My new AMD was not operable today due to my Netware testing (had to use it's
peripherals on another computer), but I was able to boot the install
diskettes to a command line on the P2 so I think they're OK. The diskettes
tried to load the driver for my later U160 scsi adapter, giving an error
message that the adapter was not found on this machine. which is promising.
Fdisk on these diskettes showed my 9gb scsi drive correctly, so they looked
fine. It may be a day or so before I can get back to this project and boot
them on the AMD.

The network problem is frustrating... I'll start a new thread on that.

Wayne

>>1. Why does the ide drive show as Disk 2? Will this affect my ability to
>>install & boot a WinXX from the ide drive, or will bootmanager handle
>>that?
>
> It shows as drive 2 because your config.sys is set so the SCSI driver
> loads first and the IDE driver loads second. This is what you want if you
> are booting from the SCSI drive.
>
> This will have no effect on WinXX, per se. WinXX has its own rules and
> will probably end up seeing the IDE drive first. This you need to test.
>
>>2. How can I correct the problem of having to boot Warp from diskettes
>>after an abnormal shutdown in order to run chkdsk?
>
> Post the config.sys from the AMD system and the fdisk /query:all output
> and I'll show you what to change.
>
>>3. Off topic: Anybody want to help tackle the problem I've been having
>>getting my P2 to connect to my Netware server ( the old "Req0815" message
>> during bootup)?
>
> Start a new thread for this one. I've fixed a few Netware setups in my
> time. Post copies of config.sys, lantran.log, protocol.in and net.cfg
> from the P2 box.
>
>>It used to connect fine, and I use the same hardware to get to the dsl
>>modem, so something changed to interfere with that connection.
>
> You probably lost a protocol when you add the TCP/IP protocol for DSL.
>
> Steven
>

> --

Return to [ 00 | June | 2003 ]