Return to [ 24 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:59:24 PDT7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Make file and print sharing work on OS/2 box

In , on 06/24/03
at 01:15 PM, kfh777@earthlink.net said:

>Of the six files you requested 3 (config.sys, startup.cmd, and
>lantran.log) exist on the OS/2 boot drive which is J:\ . Ibmlan.ini
>does exist on drive I:\ibmlan. Protocol.ini does exist on I:\ibmcom.
>Those are attached. There are two setup.cmd files which seem pertinent.
>One is in I:\mptn\bin attached as 1Setup.cmd. The other is in
>I:\tcpip\dos\bin attached as 2setup.cmd.

FWIW, if you need to rename files, I find it easier to keep track if
descriptive suffixes are used for only the "extra" files:

1setup.cmd -> setup.cmd
2setup.cmd -> setup_DOS.cmd

FWIW, the DOS setup.cmd is probably not even getting used.

>I remember last year getting advice to keep MPTN out of the OS/2 boot
>drive.

I would not have recommended this. It can confuse the FP install
routines.

>Drive I: is set up with sd's of IBMCOM, IBMLAN, IBMLANLK, MPTN,
>RSUin, and tcpip. The problem as I gave up on it last year was
>summarized in two emails the text of which follow.

>>NETVIEW \\lanhostname yields "The Requester service is >Starting", followed
>>by the SYS2070 error (problem loading code) >followed by a seemingly
>>endless series of dots on the "... >service is Starting" line.

OK.

Just to verify, is J:\MUGLIB really on J: and is it full of files?

>>>Effort to log in through the connections folder yields
>>>"Requester is starting" followed by a SYS 2070 error followed by
>>>a NET2140 error ((Internal LAN software error).

Don't spend any time on this error, until we get NET.EXE and LOGIN
working. It's all the same code, failing the same way.

Most likely, the 2070 says that NET.EXE or something it is invoking is
having a problem finding a DLL. Although the layout is non-standard, the
config.sys seems to match it. It's not obvious which files are missing.

If we are unlucky, we may need to reinstall MPTS and Peer to drive J, but
that's a last resort.

Let's start with the simple stuff. What happens if you do just:

NET HELP

Get a copy of pmdll from:

http://home.earthlink.net/~steve53/os2diags

and a copy of:

chkdll.zip

from the os2bbs.

unzip the EXEs to someplace in the PATH and try:

pmdll j:\ibmlan\netprog\net.exe

Look for DLLs marked in red. This indicates a problem. If this works
try:

chk4dlls j:\ibmlan\netprog\net.exe

and see if reports any errors. chk4dlls.exe may be name chkdll32.exe in
the ZIP file. They are the same program.

I need to see directory listings of IBMLAN and MUGLIB. Use:

dir /s

and dump the results to a text file.

A copy of the syslevel report might also be helpful. Use:

syslevel >syslevel.txt

to capture the output.

Steven

Return to [ 24 | June | 2003 ]