Return to [ 12 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 20:42:32 PDT7
From: waynec@linkline.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: LinkSys Router (settings)

Steven Levine writes:

> In <20030612182843.65949.qmail@bjork.linkline.com>, on 06/12/03
> at 11:28 AM, waynec@linkline.com said:
>
>>1. Does anyone know how I can go about refreshing the communications
>>portion of Warp4 (ibmcom, mptn, tcpip, etc) without a complete
>>reinstall? Selective install does not give these options, and I do not
>
> These options are in Selective Install for Networking object.

If there's such an object on my system, I can't find it... in my OS/2 System
> System Setup > Install/Remove folder, there is only "Selective Install",
"Selective Uninstall", and "Device Driver Install"... where do I find the
"Selective Install for Networking"?

Finding that "Selective Install for Networking" object would be a big help.

>>want to have to start over from scratch with all the various freeware
>>I've installed and customization I've done.
>
> Then don't reinstall. Fix what's broken.

What do you think I've been trying to do for the last three weeks? Knowing
it's broken, and knowing what's broken and how to fix what's broken are
different things. For instance, I sent out several iptrace listings of my
"not able to find www.abcde.com" problem, including one to you (the traces
weren't very useful to me, having never looked at iptraces before, having no
reference materials to learn about them, and having no "normal" traces to
compare them to). I've been saying right along that I feared I had a
mismatch in software levels in my comm folders (IBMCOM, MPTN, TCPIP); I
asked point blank (several times in my prior posts over the past days) how I
could re-install those folders to get them up to snuff, and nobody answered
until your reply (above; ...except I can't find the object you cite).

>>2. If you do a Warp4 install from the cdrom and install diskettes,
>>against an existing Warp4 partition, will it:
>
>>a) overlay the existing Warp, or
>
> Yes.
>
>>b) only replace files older than those on the cdrom, or
>
> No.
>
>>c) ????
>
> Yes. You will lose lots of settings for your currently installed
> applications. How much depends on the application and where is saves its
> settings.
>
>>2. If I purchase an eCs upgrade version (upgrade from Warp4, cheaper than
>> the full version), will it replace pretty much the whole system, or will
>
> It's going to replace everything. Upgrade installs over Warp4 are not
> supported, although some tools are provided.
>
>>At this point, after 3 weeks of ongoing trials and tribulations with the
>>ide drive and this problem, I am pretty much convinced that Warp4 is no
>>longer serviceable if you are trying to move to newer hardware not
>>supported on the original Warp4 installation cdrom.
>
> This is your opinion. I've installed Warp4 successfully on lots of new
> hardware. The process is simple, but it must be followed.

What "process"??? If you've got one, I sure wish you'd share it with me,
cause I've just spent 3 f'in weeks trying to get Warp set up on one
computer, and fixed on the other. I'm STILL struggling! (except today I took
the day off, first day in weeks that I HAVEN'T been wrestling with the
computer).

The problem with re-installing has been tailoring a set of install diskettes
that will boot up all the way, AND load all the needed drivers onto the hard
drive without my having to copy a lot of them onto the hard drive manually
(even though they are on the diskettes and in the diskette's config.sys),
AND with an fdisk that sees the entire ide drive, AND the scsi drive. I
still haven't successfully created a set that does ALL of that.

As another example, I went through one full install from cdrom, specifying
Netware Requester and TCPIP be installed and doing the NIC configuration,
only to find out later that the "finished" Warp partition had no
communications folders on it at all... go figure! (my guess... it altered
the corresponding folders on a different partition, or didn't install
because of their presence).

Yesterday I spent at least an hour just trying to get a partition created on
the ide drive that Warp's fdisk would allow me to set installable, and wound
up with one in a location I really didn't want it to be (it apparently
insists on it being very close to the beginning of the drive, even though it
is a logical partition). Side note: I also learned fdisk apparently sees an
ntfs partition as if it were an hpfs partition. As I was applying fixes,
etc, to the Warp partition I'd finally been able to build on the ide drive
(which I had subsequently tailored with a current OS2KRNL), I rebooted from
the ide Warp partition off boot manager at one point, and the latest Warp
logo screen came up (the os2krnl sets the version code in the lower left
corner, so I knew I'd booted the ide partition), then I got completely
disoriented when the system that actually came up was a DIFFERENT Warp
partition, on the scsi drive, and NONE of my (three) ide partitions were
shown in the "drives" object... go figure! (apparently a config.sys problem,
which I fixed by booting from diskettes and using tedit)

It's been one weird problem after another... try to fix one, and 3 more pop
up.

It may not be an exaggeration to say I've booted my computers a thousand
times in the past 3 weeks, making one or more changes every time.... so, it
IS my opinion that Warp is no longer viable for new installs, but then, I
don't claim to be an expert, that's why I sought help here.

> eCS is easier to install in most cases, but there's no 100% guarantee on
> this. The eCS installer is new code. Stuff happens Just go to the eCS
> newsgroups and browse the install support groups.

I'm going to give it a try.

Wayne

Return to [ 12 | June | 2003 ]