Return to [ 07 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 11:47:31 PDT7
From: Peter Skye <pskye@peterskye.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: LinkSys Router (settings)

waynec@linkline.com wrote:

> > First, run NSLOOKUP to see if the name server can find the target:
> >
> > nslookup www.abcdef.com
>
> Wow, did I get a strange reply, looks like you nailed it:
> >>
> [D:\]nslookup
> surfboard.macdock.com/aoai/topics.mhtml?forum=0001&ForumName=Avanti+Chat
>
> Server: old-ns2.linkline.com
> Address: 192.216.128.6
>
> Exception = c0000005 occurred at EIP = 1eaaa60b.
> SYS1808:
> The process has stopped. The software diagnostic
> code (exception code) is 0005.
> SYS1041: The name ForumName is not recognized as an
> internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Hiya Wayne,

Okay, two problems here. First, the name server _just_ looks up the
domain so you want to try

nslookup surfboard.macdock.com

The rest of the url is, without going into lots of extra details, the
directory and file which the web server at that address will return to
you (*or* parameters so the web server can create a custom web page for
you "on the fly"). Thus the above url will go to the server at
surfboard.macdock.com and send back to you the file at
\aoai\topics.mhtml (or create a custom page for you using server side
scripting or cgi scripting or dynamic page or java servlet or whatever
the guru there wanted to use -- so just think of it as a directory tree
and you won't lose any sleep over it.)

The second problem is that you entered a "&" in the url when you ran
nslookup. Wayne Dude! That's a no-no; the & character on the command
line tells OS/2 that you are putting *two* commands on *one* line. Try
this:

echo Hi & echo Wayne

and you'll get two lines back. Go ahead, try it.

That's why you got the SYS1041 on ForumName -- OS/2 thought it was a new
command line and tried to run the ForumName program.

> I went to my ISP's website and it appears they have
> changed their nameserver addresses, without notifying
> me, so I will try plugging the new addresses into tcpcfg.

For reference, you can use any major name server -- they don't check to
make sure you're allowed to use them.

- Peter

Return to [ 07 | June | 2003 ]