Return to [ 24 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 06:59:42 PDT7
From: <eyeleica@lvcm.com >
To: SCOUG-Help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Installation woes

I just recently was given an old IBM 300GL computer by a friend. Never
having owned an IBM, I thought it proper to install IBM's OS/2 Warp 4 on
an IBM computer. This 300GL comes with 128 mgs ram and is powered at
266mhz. Considering its age, I decided to go with the original install
diskettes. No problem with the Installation diskette, go to disk #1, no
problem. Insert disk #2 and after a short wait for loading, this black
screen appears:

OS/2 Warp 4 System Installation

Sys0039: The C: device is not ready

______________________

Return error code to program
End program/command/operation
Retry Command or Operation

I have tried the original diskettes on other computers of the same vintage
and have been getting the same result. Could it be the install diskettes
are corrupted? There appears to be nothing wrong with the computer; I can
install Windows 98 without a problem. I've tried using updated diskettes
#1 and #2 with the install going well until the end when the system locks
up with a black screen and a blinking white dash in the upper left corner.
Right now, I think I am caught in the insanity mode (following Einstein's
definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting
different results). Any thoughts or ideas to get the installation
complete?

Return to [ 24 | June | 2003 ]