Return to [ 22 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 19:07:21 PDT7
From: jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Need help with XCOMP

In , on 06/21/2003
at 07:51 PM, "Steven Levine" said:

>In <200306211831.2440743.9@scoug.com>, on 06/21/03
> at 06:31 PM, jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net said:

>>a: I remembered your comment that the c: drive had to be inactive for
>>xcopy to copy all files.

>>xcopy c:\ l:\ /h /s /v /t /n /r /e

>Try:

> xcopy c:\ l:\ /h /o /t /s /e /r /v /e

Steven,

Thanks for the quick answer. I didn't expect one before Monday night.
Don't you ever take time off from helping people?

I booted to a: with the os/2 emergency diskettes, formatted l: HPFS, and
ran that command with these results:

xcopy reported 5009 files copied

For c:

1365 kb in 454 directories
176203 kb in 5009 user files
1505 kb in EA's
2048 kb reserved for system

For l:

1393 kb in 454 directories
176199 kb in 5009 user files
1505 kb in EA's
2048 kb reserved for system

The kb for directories and files still disagree but there was an
improvement-- the number of user files in each partition is the same
compared to my previous running of xcopy. When I previously ran the
command without the /h, /o and second /e switches, chkdsk showed:

1. The number of kb in directories disagreed but was the same as above;
the number of directories in both partitions was 454. 2.There were 176199
kb in 5010 user files on c: and 176142 kb in 5007 user files on l: 3.
There were 1504 kb in EA's in both partitions.
4. There were 2048 kb reserved for system in both partitions.

After running the command line you suggested, xcomp showed the same
results as before:

-------------------------------Snip----------------------------------------------------
Reading checksum file into memory

Comparing files qualified by *
at Source path C:\Orig\
with Target path L:\Copy\
using 8388608 bytes buffer size

XCOMP118: Error SYS3 returned by DosFindFirst() at Line 1130

XCOMP005: 1 directory(ies) could not be opened. This may be caused by non
accessible directories due to ACLs (e.g. on HPFS386), an
incorrect/outdated file system driver (e.g CD-ROM) or file system
corruption. XCOMP007: 0 file(s) compared successfully, 0 file(s) compared
totally. -----------------------------------End of
log-------------------------------------------

Do you have any suggestions as to what I should do next?

I am thinking of creating a new HPFS partition in the free space on my
disk and xcopying (with the hotserve switches) l: to it. My objective
would be to see if chkdsk on the new partition shows the same data as
chkdsk on c:. My conclusion would be that the error (if it is one)
creation operation is reversible.

I have also thought of creating a backup with BackAgainII and comparing it
immediately to c:.

And I have also thought of creating a zip backup with xcopy and the
hotserve switches to see if it finds a directory and a file, or files, it
can not handle. I am hesitant to try this option because I don't know how
to abort pkzip or zip if it stops or if it gets into a loop. Shutting off
the computer when there was a loop that ran for an hour screwed up a hard
drive and forced me to buy a new hard drive and to reinstall.

For Pete's sake, don't answer this post today. Just because I am retired
and have nothing better to do does not mean that you should provide help
on Sunday.

Jack

>The switch order is not important other than it helps to remember the
>correct set of switches.

>Steven

Return to [ 22 | June | 2003 ]