Return to [ 07 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 12:48:53 PDT7
From: waynec@linkline.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: LinkSys Router (settings)

Peter Skye writes:

> Hiya Wayne,
>
> Okay, two problems here. First, the name server _just_ looks up the
> domain so you want to try
>
> nslookup surfboard.macdock.com
>
> The rest of the url is, without going into lots of extra details, the
> directory and file which the web server at that address will return to
> you (*or* parameters so the web server can create a custom web page for
> you "on the fly"). Thus the above url will go to the server at
> surfboard.macdock.com and send back to you the file at
> \aoai\topics.mhtml (or create a custom page for you using server side
> scripting or cgi scripting or dynamic page or java servlet or whatever
> the guru there wanted to use -- so just think of it as a directory tree
> and you won't lose any sleep over it.)
>
> The second problem is that you entered a "&" in the url when you ran
> nslookup. Wayne Dude! That's a no-no; the & character on the command
> line tells OS/2 that you are putting *two* commands on *one* line. Try
> this:

OK, I see that I should not have used the complete url on the commandline.
I'm getting so tired of fighting problems (ide and netware) that I'm
becoming braindead.

And I obviously have a problem in my system, because when I re-issued the
nslookup command as you showed it, I got another ugly message:

[D:\]nslookup surfboard.macdock.com
Server: ns1.linkline.com
Address: 66.59.235.1

Exception = c0000005 occurred at EIP = 1ea9a60b,
SYS1808:
The process has stopped. The software diagnostic
code (exception code) is 0005.
<<<<

Further ugly binary message showed the error to be in setloc.dll

It does seem to indicate it is using the new dns entry I plugged into
tcpcfg.

I have been thinking maybe I ought to re-install the communications portion
of Warp, to ensure I have everything at correct base levels, and then update
it using the WarpUp cdrom. Perhaps this setloc.dll crash shows that I should
do that. I may have fooled around with things once too often over the past
several yers. I recall once seeing a method of re-installing just the
communications portion, but I cannot recall how.

Would you advise me to do it? Do you know how to do it?

And, I'd really, really like to find out whether my tcpcfg entries look
correct, which was the thrust of my original question...(putting aside, for
the moment, whether the dns addresses are correct addresses).... if
tcpcfg's not correct, then all the rest may be superfluous!

Can anyone tell me that their tcpcfg entries look as sparse as mine (see my
original post in this series), or look different, and how???

Thanks,

Wayne

Return to [ 07 | June | 2003 ]