Return to [ 00 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 16:29:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Harry Motin" <hmotin@sbcglobal.net >
Subject: Re: SCOUG-Help: Re: Wayne's ide... IMPORTANT

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 16:02:55 PDT7, waynec@linkline.com wrote:

>Complete success!!! I tried booting Warp from scsi and it came up, and fdisk

>Now, some more of my stupid questions:
>
>1. Why does the ide drive show as Disk 2? Will this affect my ability to
>install & boot a WinXX from the ide drive, or will bootmanager handle that?

It shows as Disk 2, because you set your SCSI as the boot hard drive in your BIOS.

>2. How can I correct the problem of having to boot Warp from diskettes after
>an abnormal shutdown in order to run chkdsk?

If you are using the HPFS on any of your partitions, you can make sure it contains a line
something like the following for all the HPFS partitions:

IFS=C:\OS2\HPFS.IFS /CACHE:2048 /CRECL:64 /AuToChEcK:CDEF

where "CDEF" are your HPFS partitions. With this line, OS/2 will auto check these
partitions for the "dirty shutdown" flag and run CHKDSK automatically, if needed.

Iam not sure how you do it for non HPFS partitions. Perhaps someone else can chime
in here. I copied the following information from ConfigTool 1.3.0:

The H(igh) P(erformance) F(ile) System.
If you don't have any good reason not to install this should be the standard file system
for OS/2.

Parameters:

/CACHE:nnn (in kb) sets up a disk cache and its size. The default on most systems is
low in my opinion.

<<=Warning=>> Keep this one truth in mind about cache size: an excessive cache
takes memory available for programs and therefore could have a negative impact on
overall system performance. But today, when most systems have 32MB+ the problem
is more the restriction of the cache to 2MB.

OS/2s Command Reference and other IBM sources indicate that the maximum cache
size for HPFS is currently 2MB (2048), but IBM does not recommend using a cache
larger than 1.5MB (1536). Personally, I have 128MB of RAM and have my HPFS cache
set to the max: 2048.

If this parameter is omitted, the default is 10% of the available RAM on systems with
more than 8MBs of RAM.

/FORCE will give you access to dirty partitions. This is new to the 32-bit CHKDSK which
will only run on Warp 3 and 4.

/QUIET suppresses all messages from CHKDSK.

/CRECL sets the maximum record size for caching, from 2k to 64k in multiples of 2k with
a default of 4k. This parameter may not exceed 1/4 of the total cache size set with the
/cache parameter.

<<=NOTE=>> Michael Lueck says that using a different of the default 4 may cause
corrupt data. So take care when changing this parameter.

/AUTOCHECK:drive tells the system to check each drive noted to see if it was shut
down properly. If not, it will run CHKDSK on only the drives indicated.

/F:n indicates the level of CHKDSK to be used when automatically checking the drives
at startup when AUTOCHECK is activated. If no parameter is specifed, /F:2 is the
default.

<<=NOTE=>> A /F:3 parameter will be ignored unless you formatted your hard drive
with the /L parameter.

You can get better performance from your system by using your available RAM in the
most efficient and effective way. Select the case that best describes the file system or
amount of RAM you use.

CASE 1: You use only HPFS or only FAT, but not both.

HPFS only. FAT only.
System memory of at least: Set CACHE to: Set DISKCACHE to:

16 MB+ 2048 2048

CASE 2: You use both HPFS and FAT with HPFS active and FAT passive.

System memory of at least: Set CACHE to: Set DISKCACHE to:

16 MB+ 2048 512 -1024

CASE 3: You use both HPFS and FAT with HPFS passive and FAT active.

System memory of at least: Set CACHE to: Set DISKCACHE to:

16 MB+ 1024 2048

<<=NOTE=>> You can have multiple partitions, they will all be serviced by the same
cache, so you may have 2 HPFS and 3 FAT partitions for example. For purposes of
the table above, "active" and "passive" are descriptors for the way a cache is used. If it
is seldom used, it is "passive." If a lot of disk intensive I/O occurs with the cache, it is
"active."

<<=NOTE=>> HPFS is more efficient than FAT, you should therefore attempt to transfer
all the most frequently used applications to an HPFS drive, and also locate your
SWAPPER.DAT on an HPFS drive. This will mean that HPFS is "active", and FAT
"passive"

<<=NOTE=>> Lazy write is on by default. If you want lazy write off, see the
RUN=C:\OS2\CACHE.EXE command later in this file.

<<=Tip=>> /C will only run CHKDSK if the file system is dirty (new); /AuToChEcK
(case-sensitive!!!) will make CHKDSK process locked drives (undocumented). You
can speed up checking volumes situated on separate physical drives by using
something like IFS=C:\OS2\HPFS.IFS /CACHE:2048 /CRECL:64 /AUTOCHECK:C and
then running the CHKDSK's in parallel for each physical drive: start CHKDSK D: /F
/AuToChEcK start CHKDSK E: /F /AuToChEcK and so on. Some have reported
performance improvements of 250%.

<<=NOTE=>> If you place a plus sign (+) in front of any drive letter, the drive will be
checked every time the system starts, even if shut down properly.

<<=WARNING=>> If you don't include the AUTOCHECK parameter in this command,
the system will not boot.

<<=TIP=>> If you are using only FAT partitions, then you should REM this IFS statement
and save yourself some RAM. How much? I've seen figures from 130k to 500k, but the
HPFS.IFS file is 136k in size.

<<=TIP=>> If you have drive partitions larger than 80MB, then HPFS should give you
better performance than FAT. On partitions of less than 80MB, most authorities indicate
that there is only a small performance difference between HPFS and FAT. Consider
the following when comparing the relative merits of the HPFS versus FAT: On large
partitions of identical size, the HPFS will generally give you about 15% more space
and improve performance by about 28%.

<<=TIP=>> Use HPFS386.IFS if you have an license. It brings an significant
performance boost into your system.

<<=TIP=>> For analysing HPFS formatted drives there is the FREE Tool DFsee by Jan
van Wijk, available at http://www.fsys.demon.nl. DFSee can also undelete files, fdisk
and much more.

<<=TIP=>> For undeleting files on HPFS Drives use the great IBM EWS Tool File
Phoenix (Rel. 1.35) by Joe DiAdamo. It is reported that it fails on partitions greater than
2Gb or with HPFS 2.3 (not verified).

Return to [ 00 | June | 2003 ]