Return to [ 00 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 19:56:51 -0700
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
Subject: Re: SCOUG-Help: Re: Wayne's ide... IMPORTANT

In <20030601223451.91678.qmail@bjork.linkline.com>, on 06/01/03
at 03:34 PM, waynec@linkline.com said:

>> FWIW, it's not a good idea to generate multiple subject threads for th=
>> same problem. It makes it harder to review history.

>I'm sorry, Steven, but now I've lost track...

No. What I meant is if you look back at the messages you have sent, you
have sent them using somewhere between 4 and 6 messages subjects. This
means all the relevant information is not easy to review for those of us
that receive a lot of e-mail.

>> The next next thing is to update the install diskettes with the most
>> recent versions of:
>>
>> IBM1S506.ADD
>> OS2CDROM.DMD
>> OS2DASD.DMD
>> IBMIDECD.FLT
>>
>> Save copies of the orginals, just in case. Make sure you can still bo=
ot.

>I've been using those files on my P2, so they should already be on the
>AMD.

I meant save copies of the originals that were on the diskette, although
in hindsight you have the original diskette images so you have already
done that.

>These are the dates on the replacement diskette 1:

>> IBM1S506.ADD 4/21/2001 (my P2 version dated 6/16/2000)

This is old. The one I have hanging around is:

ibm1s506.add 63,434 .... 9-06-02 15:47:00

There's probably something newer on the IBM DDPak site. I run mostly SCS=
around here so I don't have much need to keep up with the latest IDE
drivers.

>> OS2CDROM.DMD 8/26/1996 (my P2 version dated 5/23/200, larger size)=

The version I run is:

OS2CDROM.DMD 32,152 .... 5-23-00 9:04:00

which should be from FP15.

>> OS2DASD.DMD 9/13/2000 (P2 version dated 9/23/2000, same size)

This match what I run:

OS2DASD.DMD 40,910 .... 9-23-00 12:16:00

>> IBMIDECD.FLT 7/19/2000 (P2 version dated 6/16/2000, same size

This looks OK too:

IBMIDECD.FLT 24,320 .... 6-16-00 10:42:00

>So it appeared to me I only needed to update os2cdrom.dmd on the
>diskette, and I've now done that.

I suggest you update both IBM1S506 and OS2CDROM.

>OK, I reconnected the scsi cable for this, in case fdisk might see the
>scsi drives...
>it did not.

This is the correct behavior.

Add:

basedev=3Daicu160.add

to config.sys and copy aicu160.add to diskette 1. Delete unused files as=

needed to make space.

>Here 'tis:

>Drive Name Partition Vtype FStype Status Start Size

> 1 0000003f : 3 00 0 0 38162
> **BIOS:8032MB

Much better. :-)

>If there's a way to get the ide drives to be the second string of drives=
,

That will happen if you create only extended partitions on the IDE drive.=

> that might be nice, but that would probably screw up my future ability
>to install & boot WinXX (haven't decided which flavor yet).

Yes it will, so it's not a viable alternative here. It's probably best t=
create a primary on the IDE drive and hide it until you get everything
moved into place.

>But, I can worry about that later. I'll settle for one HPFS partiton on
>the ide drive for the time being, and it doesn't appear there's anythin=
>to stop me from doing that right now, using the updated install
>diskettes.

Correct.

>I'd still like to hear more on the approach you mentioned in a prior pos=
> about how to avoid the problem I've had on the P2, after an abnormal
>shutdown, with the D:\OS2|help\_cache0.db file corruption that requires
>me to run chkdsk from a diskette bootup.

Let's get your system up and running and we can modify the boot partition=

config.sys to correctly chkdsk the driver.

>I'm already using those on the P2, so they should already be on the AMD.=

Only when you boot from SCSI. I am still discussing the boot diskettes. =

You are getting ahead. If you mean you have copies, OK but I would still=

make sure you are using the most current version which I show to be:

JJSCDROM.dmd 40,222 .... 3-28-03

>Thanks, you've been a great help in getting me this far.

You're welcome. I watch the messages fly for a week and couldn't stand i=
any longer. :-)

Steven

Return to [ 00 | June | 2003 ]