Return to [ 15 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 22:21:56 PDT7
From: waynec@linkline.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: LinkSys Router (settings)

252
This is a MIME-formatted message. If you see this text it means that your
mail software cannot handle MIME-formatted messages.
--=_0_54925_1055740942
Steven Levine writes:
> In <20030614055033.36460.qmail@bjork.linkline.com>, on 06/13/03
> at 10:50 PM, waynec@linkline.com said:
>
>>I can't recall for sure, should have written them down... it seemed like
>>I'd fix one, only to hang on the next one, etc, etc. When I finally got
>>to where I was able to boot the diskettes, I was looking at the hard
>
> Are we talking about the diskette set I showed you how to make? Based on
> your feedback, they worked once you picked the IDE drivers that your
> hardware wanted.
Yes, same diskettes. Well, I thought I had them booting OK (must have, since
I did get to the point where I could look at the partitions on the ide and
install Warp from cdrom), now I'm not sure what changed, but I am once again
having difficulty loading the diskettes... diskette 1 is hanging on "loading
ibm1s506.add" now (it already loaded aicu160.add). I thought I'd resolved
this, but...
It's possible that I disconnected the scsi cable to get around this diskette
problem when I created the new "vanilla" Warp4 fp15 partition (from the Warp
cdrom) on the 40gb ide drive.
The ibm1s506.add on the diskettes is dated 12/20/2002; that's the same date
and size as the one in the ide "vanilla" Warp4 fp15 partition that I'm able
to boot. Same for os2dasd.dmd, ibmdecd.flt, os2cdrom.dmd and os2scsi.dmd,
except that I am using the dani equivalents and jjscdrom on the Warp
partition. I regret to say I am not certain if I had to go to the dani
equivalents to get the partition to boot properly... I think not, but I do
recall having difficulty at first with the cdroms before I changed drivers.

>>in. I never did get used to the tedit editor and found it very unwieldy,
>>and never did figure out how to do a search on keywords with it, as I
>>can with the os/2 system editor.
>
> TEDIT is not my favorite non-GUI editor, but it does have built in help,
> so it's not that hard to learn. The search command is L on the command
> line. Search again is Alt-F.
OK, I'll buy that, but it took me awhile to figure out even the simplest
commands because the help screens don't define their terms, they seem to me
to be only intended to be reminders. Took me awhile to figure out that "C"
on the bottom of the help screen meant the Ctrl key, for instance. Sorry,
guess I'm dense.

>>Too many to list, including the old IBM Extended Edition database,
>>MSofficePro, PQmagic, FileWizmanager, Ghostview, some stock market
>>programs, automobile calculator tools, editors, system tools, a design
>>program, and a myriad of shareware I've probably long forgotten I
>>installed.
>
> Well, I suggest you make a list. A lot of them will probably require no
> more than recreating the Desktop objects. Others will need config.sys
> edits. Others will need INI file edits. Others will need a full
> reinstall.
That, my friend, will not be easy, if even possible, which is why I
originally intended to simply clone the old partition rather than trying to
start over from scratch.

> OK. I presume the LinkLine is doing NAT for you. Anything else? DHCP?
> Local DNS? I'll need to know the IP addresses of the individual boxes so
> I can understand the traces.
I don't really know what you mean by these terms. NAT means nothing to me.
DHCP is supposedly done by the LinkSys router, and in fact, my tcpcfg
("hostnames" tab) seems to pick up the LinkLine dns server address from my
router, which is where I plugged it in. I don't understand "local DNS"
either, but if that means my own computers would be handling DNS, I sure
didn't intentionally try to set anything up to do that.
If you want the IP addresses of my computers, I'd prefer to send them to you
off-forum. The NIC address in my AMD ends with "..ABCD", while the Netware
server ends with "..F08D"
I regret to say that the traces I sent you may not both be from the system
as it is currently set up... if you are seeing addresses 192.216.128.6 & 7,
those are Linkline dns addresses I've since changed to just one of the two
dns addresses that LinkLine says to use in my area: 66.59.235.1 (the other
is 64.30.215.129). The traces do show, however, the same url being used when
the problem occurs, with the last attempt being successful

>>3. to simplify the Warp install as much as feasible, by unplugging the
>>scsi cable, considering all the difficulties I'd been encountering with
>>the install diskettes, and with booting scsiWarp when the ide drive was
>>powered on.
>
> This may simplify the install, but it may not get you closer to having a
> usable install with the SCSI drive enabled.
Agreed... I was just trying to get past all the diskette problems and work
on getting a hard drive Warp that could see both scsi and ide.

>>4. I wanted a vanilla Warp to find out if the networking problems I was
>>seeing on the P2 would go away with a re-install. They did.
>
> Are you saying that Netscape timeouts don't happen on the AMD/IDE install?
> If so, you need to look very carefully at how the TCP/IP configuration
> differs.
Yes, I am saying that. That's why I am (again) fixated on re-installing the
networking portion of Warp. I said quite clearly in prior posts that I had
done some mucking around in those folders when I (mistakenly) tried to
re-install the 32-bit stack fixes (from downloads), not having remembered
that the WarpUp cdrom had already done that 2 years ago, and later tried to
quickest way to get set up properly was to re-install networking and
re-apply the WarpUp cdrom mptn fixes. The fact that the "vanilla" Warp4 fp15
works fine renews my desire to re-install networking on the cloned
partition. If that worked, then I could do the same to my P2 Warp.

>>I think I'm pretty familiar with the way partition letters are set up...
>>it just gets tricky when partitions are always changing when things do
>>or don't work with the install diskettes or how a given fdisk interprets
>>the ide drive, and when you don't know if using PQmagic to hide or
>>unhide a partition will screw up the ide's mbr or partition codes again.
>
> Right. That's why the first priority is to get a working set of boot
> diskettes that see the drives correctly. Once you have this, it's just a
> matter of making sure you are running the same versions of the
> IBM1S506.ADD, AICU160.ADD and OS2DASD.DMD on the installed system. The
> first two handle the hardware access. The latter handles drive letter
> assignment.
I have the same versions in both the install diskettes and the os2\boot
folder of the ide "vanilla" Warp4 fp15 partition, but I have since set up
the latter to use the dani drivers (danis506.add, danidasd.dmd,
daniatapi.flt, aicu160.add, os2scsi.dmd, jjscdrom.dmd)

> [...]
>> F: fat16 logical
>> G: fat16 logical)
>
>>scsi (it was configured before the ide was attached):
>
>>boot manager (not currently in use)
>>placekeepr C: fat16 primary for when I needed to boot Warp1vol or
>>scsiWarp with ide power unplugged (normally hidden)
>>E: Warp1vol single-pack vanilla maintenance Warp (normally hidden, can be
>> moved anywhere Warp will allow it)
>>F: scsiWarp hpfs logical (my cloned P2 partition; becomes D: when booted)
>>G: fat16 data (will copy to ide as E:; then becomes H: backup for E:) H:
>>fat16 data (will copy to ide as F:; then becomes I: backup for F:) I:
>>fat16 data (will copy to ide as G:; then becomes J: backup for G:) J:
>>fat16 placekeeper H: when ide not attached (will be deleted later) K:
>>fat16 placekeeper I: when ide not attached (will be deleted later) L:
>>fat16 placekeeper J: when ide not attached (will be deleted later) M:
>>hpfs catchall for downloads and temp files (becomes K: later)
>
>>the scsi drive is a bit cramped at present, but there will be room when 3
>> partitions are moved to the ide drive; also, I expect to be adding a
>>second scsi drive (the same size) in a few weeks.
>
>>So, in final form I hope to have:
>
>>ide:
>>C: 30gb+ WinXP primary ntfs
>>bootmanager
>>E: fat16 data logical
>>F: fat16 data
>>G: fat16 data
>
>>scsi:
>>unused bootmanager
>>fat16 hidden placekeeper C:
>>D: scsiWarp logical
>>H: backup of E:
>>I: backup of F:
>>J: backup of G:
>>K: hpfs download and temp files
>>L: Warp1vol hpfs (hidden, or not) maintenance Warp needing only itself
>>and a C: placekeeper
>
>>This last is pretty much what I have on the P2 today, except that C: is
>>Win95 and the scsi partitions are spread over 3 physical scsi drives with
>> Warp on the middle drive; there are 2 hidden bootable Warps, one of
>>older vintage.
>
> OK, we can discuss this when you decide what you want to do next.
>
>>It hasn't been changed from what "Create Utility Diskettes" produced; all
>> 1996 files with a couple of 1995 files.
>
> OK, but my focus is resolving the installation issues. For this utility
> diskettes are superfluous.
>
>>Well, fdisk only allowed me a 4gb partition in front of the 2gb Warp
>>partition I wanted to create... if I moved it any further out, I couldn't
>> set it installable.
>
> There's something wrong with installation diskettes. It sounds like
> you've gotten something older installed. At one time 4GB was the limit.
> Boot the installation diskettes, drop to the command line and do:
>
> fdisk /query:all
>
> and same the output to a file. I need to see what's going on. The
> updated diskettes based on the Thinkpad images should allow installing
Can't... see my earlier statement saying I can't get the diskettes to boot
now. It's possible I had the scsi cable disconnected previously when I built
the ide "vanilla" Warp fp15 partition.
You have copies of the install diskettes 1 & 2, I'll attach the fdisk output
to this post.

> Some folks install Warp to a primary so the WinXP partition is
> hidden when Warp is booted. Others install to a logical and use the
> read-only NTFS driver to make the WinXP partition visible. With Warp,
> there are always lots of choices.

I guess I'm not real familiar with this technique (did it on one of my
computers, but long ago)... does the Warp primary partition need to be on
the same physical drive as WinXP? Does that mean it has to be the C:
partition when booted? (mine is already set up as d:, logical)
Wayne
--=_0_54925_1055740942
Drive Name Partition Vtype FStype Status Start Size
1 0000003f C: 1 07 4 0 4000
1 007d047e : 1 0a 2 4000 7
1 ideWarp D: 2 07 1 4008 1992
1 00bb86bd : 3 00 0 6000 32161