Return to [ 24 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:15:20 PDT7
From: kfh777@earthlink.net
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Make file and print sharing work on OS/2 box

Steven,

Thanks for your offer of help. Without the attached files I'll repeat this message on SCOUG-HELP and look for the continuing dialog there.

Of the six files you requested 3 (config.sys, startup.cmd, and lantran.log) exist on the OS/2 boot drive which is J:\ . Ibmlan.ini does exist on drive I:\ibmlan. Protocol.ini does exist on I:\ibmcom. Those are attached. There are two setup.cmd files which seem pertinent. One is in I:\mptn\bin attached as 1Setup.cmd. The other is in I:\tcpip\dos\bin attached as 2setup.cmd.

I remember last year getting advice to keep MPTN out of the OS/2 boot drive. Drive I: is set up with sd's of IBMCOM, IBMLAN, IBMLANLK, MPTN, RSUin, and tcpip. The problem as I gave up on it last year was summarized in two emails the text of which follow.

and,

>NETVIEW \\lanhostname yields "The Requester service is >Starting", followed
>by the SYS2070 error (problem loading code) >followed by a seemingly
>endless series of dots on the "... >service is Starting" line.

>>Effort to log in through the connections folder yields
>>"Requester is starting" followed by a SYS 2070 error followed by
>>a NET2140 error ((Internal LAN software error).

That's all that's new, Steve. What follows is your response to my inquiry initiating this year's effort to get file and print sharing to operate between my OS/2 box (Micron P133 with SCSI drives) and my "mshome" network host box running Windows XP with ICS (Dell Dimension 8200).

Thanks, Ken

>>From: "Steven Levine"
>>Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:25:25 -0700
>>To: kfh777@earthlink.net
>>Subject: Re: Clean up OS/2
>In , on 06/19/03
> at 12:04 PM, kfh777@earthlink.net said:

>>I'm at fix 15 on OS/2 Warp 4. Years ago I did not originally install
>>networking. When I tried to add it last year it would not go. I can
>>share the internet connection from my newer WinXP box but cannot achieve
>>print and file sharing. A program (whose name I have now forgotten is
>>reported as broken).

>>I've been anticipating a whole new OS/2 re-install to achieve networking.
>>Most of you seem to have moved on to e-ComStation. Does that make more
>>sense and would it work to achieve file and print sharing when done over
>>a broken OS/2?

>eComStation is an excellent upgrade if you want or need what it
>provides. I use it, just not yet on this box. That said, if you
>have no compelling need to upgrade at this time, there's no reason
>why you can't install network on your existing Warp4 box. It's
>just a matter of a few workarounds to handle situations that were
>unforseen in 1995.

>What I would prefer is that you join the SCOUG-Help mailing list
>and we do the work there. You don't need to be a SCOUG member to
>join the list, although new members are always welcome. :-) This
>way others can learn from your experience.

>To get started, I'll need to see copies of:

> config.sys
> setup.cmd
> startup.cmd
> protocol.ini
> ibmlan.ini
> lantran.log

>Some of these may not exist. Just let me know.

>Steven

Return to [ 24 | June | 2003 ]