Return to [ 16 | March | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 15:42:14 PST8
From: Peter Skye <pskye@peterskye.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Flat Panel Monitors

J. R. Fox wrote:

> On Mar. 6, Peter replied to me:
>
> > 2) Check Fry's, they often have large off-brand
> > CRT monitors on sale for less than $200. The
> > one I bought as a backup unit is very light and
> > easy to carry (19" 1600x1200 $189).
>
> Which one was that ? I haven't seen any larger ones
> that could remotely be called light ? The one I liked
> best at Fry's (as a backup *only*, something I might
> be willing to get regardless of how the flat panel
> thing shakes out), was the ViewSonic G71F+, around
> that price, but only 17" and 1280 x 1024.

I'm looking at it right now (it's the one I brought down to San Diego).
Lemme see, there must be a sticker on the back somewhere . . . it's a
19" Likon K905XXX which I run at 1600x1200 and it looks fine to me. And
I can read it just fine from 30" away. And I'm using 6 point System VIO
as my screen font. (I _am_ wearing my $3 reading glasses. I'm 55 and
my vision isn't what it used to be.) Don't have a scale handy but I
just lifted it and it might be 30 pounds. It's a *lot* lighter than my
21" Sony (which is why I left *it* at the office).

> > 3) If you only use *two* different resolutions, you
> > could get two different LCD panels and use a video
> > switch when you change resolutions. (I haven't tried
> > this.) Alternately, you could use the video switch with
> > an LCD panel and a small CRT monitor if a small CRT
> > would be suitable for one of the resolutions you use.
>
> The latter idea is a bit more far-fetched, but not outside
> the realm of consideration. In that event, I guess we're
> getting into KVM switch territory (?), and I'll welcome a
> specific recommendation from you at that point.

The more you pay for a KVM the better it will usually be. Cheap ones
don't have the high-frequency response of the expensive ones so the
pixels tend to bleed together a little bit (or you get a color halo).
If you aren't fussy it won't matter. Buy one, try it, return it if you
don't like it. And make sure you use the best CRT cables you can buy
because the cables can restrict the bandwidth a little bit (causing
pixel bleed) too. And use the shortest CRT cables that work for your
setup because the longer the cable, the greater the high frequency
loss. (Steve Carter, do you know of any coax CRT cables?)

- Peter

Return to [ 16 | March | 2003 ]