Return to [ 16 | March | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 07:13:20 PST8
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: OS/2 Mail Clients

Peter Skye wrote:

> -- 1. Why are you connecting to Yahoo? Your email address is
> attglobal.net.

It is, temporarily! I finally got all the computers connected in a LAN
and it seems to work very well. Also, I finally got DSL service
(SBCYahoo). I selected SBC because they are my telephone company. I paid
for a technician to come out and install the DSL, using a homerun cable
to the DSL jack. That works really great. No mini-filters on the
telephones. No interference on the phones!

The DSL works great on all the computers and I'm slowly converting
everything on each computer to that service (copying favorites and email
addresses, etc.). The only big issue that I have is the E-Mail on my
OS/2 machine. Here's the status:

1. I cannot log on to the DSL E-Mail account, using Netscape 4.61. It
tells me that my ID/password is wrong

2. I downloaded MR/2 ICE. I can log on to the DSL E-Mail account and
read the mail. However, I cannot send E-Mail from MR/2 ICE

HCM

Peter Skye wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> Harry Chris Motin wrote:
> >
> > When I go to the sbc website, it looks different in
> > Netscape (NS) versus Internet Explorer (IE). In IE I can
> > see/use a button called "My Mail". It takes me right to
> > the mail. In NS that button is nowhere to be found!
>
> Hmm . . . Harry, is this webmail? Are you accessing your email from an
> http web page? Is the IE "My Mail" button part of the web page, or is
> it on the toolbar above the web page?
>
> In Netscape/Mozilla the button is called "Get Mail" or "Get Msgs". It's
> the leftmost button on the toolbar.
>
> > I get the following when I use telnet:
> >
> > telnet -p 110 pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
> > +OK hello from popgate(2.23.13)
> >
> > telnet -p 25 smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
> > 220 smtp808.mail.sc5.yahoo.com ESMTP
>
> Good. Both incoming and outgoing are okay from your NIC to the email
> server (i.e. no router problems).
>
> -- 1. Why are you connecting to Yahoo? Your email address is
> attglobal.net.
>
> -- 2. What exactly do you have in your Netscape 4.61 as your mail server
> names (both incoming and outgoing, I want to test them here)?
>
> -- 3. Run NETSTAT -S and post the results. I want to see if something
> else is also running on these ports or is running on 127.0.0.1.
>
> Harry, next try the following commands and see what happens. What we
> are going to do is sign onto your incoming (POP3) mail server:
>
> C:>telnet -p 110 smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
> user hmotin
> pass ******** <- your password
>
> At this point you should get a +OK response and you are logged in.
>
> stat
>
> You should get back how many messages you have and how many bytes they
> consume.
>
> quit
>
> Now you're logged off. Did the above work? If so, Netscape 4.61 can
> also log you into your incoming POP3 server since the above is what
> Netscape does.
>
> (The above won't work with outgoing SMTP port 25 which uses a different
> handshake. Let's do one thing at a time.)
>
> > I'm not sure what the problem is with Netscape.
> > I'm thinking that it might be that its an older
> > browser application and it does not have all that
> > it needs to connect to sbc DSL correctly/fully.
>
> The DSL doesn't appear to be the problem. You can get to the server
> with telnet so we know your DSL works.
>
> - Peter

Return to [ 16 | March | 2003 ]