Return to [ 05 | May | 2003 ]

Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 14:09:00 PDT7
From: Peter Skye <pskye@peterskye.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: My STARTUP.CMD file

There's been some interest in STARTUP.CMD recently and I
thought some of you would be interested in what I have in
mine. Briefly, here's what it does:

1. Change the STARTUP.CMD window from 80x25 to 80x81
because I like big windows.
2. Set a backup flag so backups _can't_ run. When you
backup, your OS2.INI file is saved which includes the
fact that the backup program is currently running. If
you later restore your OS2.INI file and reboot, the
backup will restart - and since I back up to hard disk
my good backed-up OS2.INI will be overwritten by the
current possibly-bad one. This flag stops this from
occuring.
3. Reset the DNS server which I use. For some reason
SENDMAIL doesn't like some DNS servers including the
one supplied by my Verizon and Cox DHCP initializations.
I use the Earthlink DNS rather than the Verizon or Cox
DNS.
4. Use the Network Time Protocol program DAYTIME to read
the current time from a government clock on the
Internet and set my hardware clock to this time.
5. Start the Relish database. (Relish is a personal time
manager from Sundial Systems.)
6. PAUSE so I can read the screen (bootup continues, this
doesn't pause the whole system).
7. EXIT and close the STARTUP.CMD window.

STARTUP.CMD goes in the root directory of your boot drive.
It runs after CONFIG.SYS is processed and before the Desktop
is opened.

Hope someone finds this interesting.

- Peter
________________

STARTUP.CMD follows:

@echo off

:: Display 81 lines on the screen (1600x1200 resolution) and give a prompt . . .
mode 80,81
echo Running STARTUP.CMD . . .

:: ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:: Don't restart any backups which were running.
echo -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
echo Setting BACKUP.NO flag so backups won't restart . . .
if exist H:\os2skye.exe\dSync\Backup.NO goto BackupNO
if exist H:\os2skye.exe\dSync\Backup.YES ren H:\os2skye.exe\dSync\Backup.YES Backup.NO
if not exist H:\os2skye.exe\dSync\Backup.NO echo Do not run a backup.>H:\os2skye.exe\dSync\Backup.NO
echo.
echo -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
echo The Backup.NO file has been created. No backups will be restarted.
echo -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
echo.
:BackupNO
:: Remove any Extended Attributes, which might include
:: .LONGNAME which may be set to Backup.YES
eautil H:\os2skye.exe\dSync\Backup.NO nul /s

:: ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:: DNS Servers:
:: Cox:
:: domain sd.cox.net
:: nameserver 68.6.16.25
:: nameserver 68.6.16.30

:: Change from Verizon DNS to Earthlink DNS.
echo -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
echo Setting desired DNS . . .
G:
cd \MPTN\ETC
call Resolv2-CopyFromEarthlink
cd \

:: ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:: Synchronize the clock . . .
daytime time.nist.gov

:: Start the Relish database.
echo Starting Relish database server . . .
H:\apps\RELISH\STARTNOW

pause

exit

Return to [ 05 | May | 2003 ]