Return to [ 08 | May | 2003 ]

Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 09:17:03 PDT7
From: GARY.WONG@sbcglobal.net
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: ThinkPad T20 freezes/locks up, continued

Now I'm not so sure it's the hard drive. Here's why:

I booted the ThinkPad this morning (after not turning
it on all day yesterday), and it booted all the way
into MCP2! I then went into PMMail and read some e-
mails that I downloaded early Sunday morning but was
unable to read because the machine froze-up.

Then I booted from the MCP2 CD's and re-wrote the MBR
after some trial and error (syntax is LVM /NEWMBR:1,
apparently it wants the drive #, because "LVM /NEWMBR"
said it's missing a ":", then "LVM /NEWMBR:" said it
wants a drive #.)

I deleted and re-created BM (although it's not exactly
the way I wanted it).

Finally it appears to me that after roughly 1/2 hour
of being on, the machine froze while booting from the
MCP2 CD's.

At this point, since I was able to boot cold from the
HD, would you say maybe the MB is too hot and the
machine freezes (which may mean either the temp.
sensor that tells the cooling fan to turn on is bad,
or the cooling fan itself, or both)?