Return to [ 01 | May | 2003 ]

Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 20:46:28 PDT7
From: "Harry Motin" <hmotin@sbcglobal.net >
To: "Martin Rosenfeld" <rosenfeldmj@attbi.com > ,
Subject: SCOUG-Help: files not found

On Thu, 1 May 2003 19:53:11 PDT7, Martin Rosenfeld wrote:

>Maybe you or some of the other gurus can help me to set up a backup
>system. I have BA2KSV and RSJ.

Martin,

I can probably help you. I have Back Again/2000 server (BA2K) and its
crash recovery diskette system. I do backups to a second hard drive. I
also have RSJ, but I have not been able to figure out how to make
backups that span 2 or more CD's (BA2K does not correctly read the
backup info on the CD's). Here's what I do:

1. Use BA2K and make full backups to a second hard drive

2. Use BA2K-created crash recovery diskettes to restore my full
system from one of the backups stored on the second hard drive

I use the OS/2 utility diskettes (4 diskettes), not the BOOTOS2 diskettes
(2 diskettes), to create the BA2K crash recovery diskette system. BA2K
gives you the choice of using one or the other.

I'll guide you through the procedure of using the OS/2 utility diskettes,
and not the BOOTOS2 diskettes. Here's the procedure:

A. Open your BA2K folder and double click on the "Make Disaster
Recovery Diskettes" icon (if you want to use the BOOTOS2 diskettes,
double click on the "Make Disaster Recovery Diskettes BOOTOS2"
icon)

B. Follow the instructions to create the disaster recovery
diskettes. The first step is to create the OS/2 utility diskettes. Do that by
double clicking on the "System Setup" folder, which is inside your
"OS/2 System" folder on your desktop. Then double click on the
"Create Utility Diskettes" icon inside the "System Setup" folder. Follow
the directions there. You will need 4 formatted, but blank diskettes and
also the Warp installation CD.

C. After you have created the OS/2 utility diskettes continue to
follow the BA2K directions for creating the BA2K crash recovery
diskettes. You will need to insert the correct utility diskettes into the
drive bay, when directed. Also, you will need another blank, formatted
diskette.

D. After you have finished you will have 5 diskettes. Four will be
from the OS/2 utility diskette procedure. Label them Diskette 0 through
Diskette 3. The last diskette, Diskette 4, will be from the BA2K crash
recovery diskette procedure.

E. The BA2K procedure tries to update the CONFIG.SYS file
(Diskette 1) with any new drivers that you are using on your system (for
example, Daniela's IDE drivers instead of the IBM driver). It usually
does a good job of this. Sometimes, however, it will over do it. For
example, in my case it copies updates the CONFIG.SYS file with the
Crystal audio drivers that are on my system and also the Norman
antivirus programs. When using the diskettes, the Crystal drivers cause
the bootup to trap. Therefore, I removed the Crystal driver lines from the
CONFIG.SYS. I also removed the Norman antivirus stuff. I don't need it,
when booting from diskettes.

F. Copy any important OS/2 utility programs that you might need
to Diskette 4 (for example, ATTRIB.EXE, CHKDSK.COM,
CHKDSK32.DLL)

G. I also placed several OS/2 *.CMD files on Diskettes 3 and 4,
which help me restore my system from the diskettes

H. Test out your crash recovery boot diskettes. Boot from them
and make sure you can successfully boot. No traps. No problems. You
will use Diskettes 0, 1 and 2 to boot up to a minimal OS/2 commandline
system. You will use Diskette 3 to prepare your system for the
restoration of your backup. That is, use Diskette 3 to: partition the hard
drive, format the hard drive, run DIR, run ATTRIB, copy files, erase files,
etc. Don't do this, of course, unless you really are restoring your system

I. After you have successfully booted to a minimal OS/2 system
(using Diskettes 0 through 3), insert Diskette 4 and type and enter "baii"
at the commandline. This will load the BA2K crash recovery program
and your mouse will become active. Test out the crash recovery
program. Prove that you can find any of your backups (backups stored
on a second hard drive, or written to CD, using RSJ). You can go as far
as selecting and loading a backup into the crash recovery. Don't hit the
"OK" button to start the recovery. Don't go that far.

J. If you can do all that, you then have a good crash recovery
system with BA2K.

K. If you can go that far, I'll help you create some helpful *.CMD
files for Diskette 3 to automate some processes.

HCM

Return to [ 01 | May | 2003 ]