Return to [ 05 | May | 2003 ]

Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 10:17:44 PDT7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Private Mail Server

Peter wrote:

> Earthlink has changed its email policy since I had problems with them
> two years ago and they may now allow you to have a custom "From:" email
> address in your outgoing email.

Earthlink was my primary account a few years ago, became the secondary
account when I got Pac Bell DSL. Since the latter is due to be dumped, and
EarthLink is on my checklist of possible DSL replacements, I'll find out what
their current policy is, in the course of making a decision.

> My SMTP server is SendMail, which comes free with OS/2. There are other
> good OS/2 mail servers -- Peter Moylan's Weasel, Paul Hethmon's INetMail
> and whatever he's named his newer SMTP server, and Eric LaVoie's ZxMail.

I've asked you this a couple times in the past, but never got an answer. If you're
running your own mail server, does it need to be up on some machine 24/7, or
can you just bring it up whenever you boot up OS/2, with no loss of mail or
functionality ? That would make a difference.

Cross-platform issues could have entered into this. It happens that I need to
boot up W2K every once in awhile, but I don't really do any mail stuff from
that side.

> I use Junk Spy on my incoming email. It catches a _lot_ of spam and has
> never had a problem with my incoming messages being routed through
> ZoneEdit.

That's good to know. Thanks for all the info.

Jordan

Return to [ 05 | May | 2003 ]