Return to [ 04 | May | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 11:33:50 PDT7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Elusive GhostView Problem

Re this and the RSJ problem discussed separately, let me mention that
I'm finding
totally different results, as between my W4 - FP9 partition and my ECS
1.0 partition.

The latest issue GhostView / GhostScript combo, freshly intalled into
the ECS partition,
works just fine, including the printing of any .PDF, .PS, or .EPS file
I've thrown at it so far --
at least on my HP laser printer. (The few print jobs I've sent to a
color inkjet have been
badly garbled, but it's too early to say much about this. Maybe the
available GSV drivers
are not appropriate . . . but, bottom line, at least there is *some*
output.)

In sharp contrast, attempted print jobs using the GSV in the W4
partition *simply vanish
into thin air.* This is true for the latest version, which I just
uninstalled and reinstalled
from scratch (cleaning out any references to GSV in the OS2 system
.INIs in-between),
just as it was the case for three versions of GSV prior to that. I've
long since replaced those
problematic fonts, unchecked "Safer" mode, revisited Spooler
settings, etc. -- the
troubleshooting things you are supposed to do.

So, there is some fundamental difference at work here, vis-a-vis the
two partitions, but one
that I've so far been unable to pin down. Maybe there is some
critical factor for GSV re the
FP level ? When I try just to print a section of the GSV Help files,
GSV crashes, and the
system Popup log shows some collision involving PMMERGE. Possibly
that supports the
FP-level idea, but the program does not crash & close when trying to
print PDF: in that case,
the print job just* seems* to be processed, but then disappears. It
does NOT turn up in the
Spooler queue. One other clue here: when I tried the suggested test
procedure of Print To File,
then COPY /B TESTFILE PRN the Saved output file DOES go
to the printer, and
the printout is what it should be. Exactly what this means is still
unclear to me.

Tony ? Anyone ?

Jordan

Return to [ 04 | May | 2003 ]