Return to [ 03 | November | 2003 ]

Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 22:12:56
From: jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: cleanINI questions.

In , on 11/01/2003
at 08:48 PM, "Steven Levine" said:

>In <200310312041.0632741.23@scoug.com>, on 10/31/03
> at 08:41 PM, jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net said:

>>bytes read : 39241
>>bytes written : 28186
>>handles read : 875
>>handles written : 628
>>bytes deleted : 11055
>>handles deleted : 247
>>block count before : 1
>>block count after : 1

>>Log closed on 31.10.2003 at 23:40:32,10 PID = 46 TID = 1
>>
>>Does this information mean it found nothing but handles to delete?

>When you run cleanini as:

> cleanini /c /logdel

>you are telling it only to delete unneeded handles.

>>Unimaint and chkini said they deleted all unused or duplicate handles.
>>How come cleanINI finds 247 to delete?

>Because Unimaint does not do exactly what cleanini does. If it did,
>there would be no need for cleanini.

I ran cleanini with no switches and got this start of the log file (below)
which I interpret to mean the only changes cleanini wants to make are to
handles.

Is my interpretation correct?

(Any figures in parentheses fom here on are from the run with the /Logdel
switch two days earlier)

Log opened on 2.11.2003 at 20:56:20,90 TID = 1 PID = 33
reading PM_Workplace:Handles0 1 blocks 870 handles in 13
drives (1 blocks 863 handles on 12 drives) reading
PM_Abstract:FldrContent 63 entrys reading
PM_Workplace:Templates 67 entrys reading
PM_Workplace:Location 595 entrys reading
PM_Workplace:FolderPos 188 entrys (187) reading
PM_Abstract:Objects 416 entrys reading PMWP_ASSOC_TYPE
63 entrys
reading PMWP_ASSOC_FILTER 146 entrys
reading PMWP_ASSOC_CHECKSUM 7 entrys
reading PM_Workplace:Startup 5 entrys
scanning handles
B190 0000 96TPI HD 0 x None --- B:
1FA7 0000 DrvErr 15 x None del U:
30E0 0000 FD 0 x None --- D:
8377 0000 ? 0 D None --- K:
3EE4 8377 ? 0 ? FldPos --- K:\LARSONPIX GOOD
3CB5 3EE4 file 0 x None del K:\LARSONPIX GOOD\4C-HO.JPG 2133
3EE4 file 0 x None del K:\LARSONPIX GOOD\3A-N.JPG 45F7 3EE4
? 0 ? FldPos --- K:\LARSONPIX GOOD\1_BLDG.JPG 4638 8377 ?
0 ? FldPos --- K:\LARSNPIX
25A7 4638 ? 0 ? FldPos --- K:\LARSNPIX\1_BLDG.JPG 66EA 4638
file 0 x None del K:\LARSNPIX\DA-GMOD.JPG 5F02 4638 file 0
x None del K:\LARSNPIX\3A-N!1.JPG 0509 8377 ? 0 D None
--- K:\AMROC PIX

The end of that log looked like this :

6694 8352 file 0 x None del F:\WP60FILE\AMROC03\WIS-TV.ASC
B174 D8FA ? 0 D None --- F:\AMROC1202OHOUSE 357A B174
? 0 ? FldPos --- F:\AMROC1202OHOUSE\NLAYOUT6.JPG 6A1A B174 file
0 x None del F:\AMROC1202OHOUSE\ROOFNMODULE.JPG 06D8 B174 ?
0 ? FldPos --- F:\AMROC1202OHOUSE\OMOTIVEPOWER5S.JPG 6E98 B174
? 0 ? FldPos --- F:\AMROC1202OHOUSE\CROWD DOWNSTAIRS.JPG 7D55 0000
FD 0 x None --- L:
3DB7 0000 ? 0 D None --- M:
BD2D 3DB7 ? 0 D None --- M:\TMP
1890 BD2D dir 0 x None del M:\TMP\ZTMP000
bytes read : 39563 (39241)
bytes written : 28417 (28186)
handles read : 883 (875)
handles written : 634 (628)
bytes deleted : 11146 (11055)
handles deleted : 249 (247)
block count before : 1 (1)
block count after : 1 (1)

It appears that handles with codes like these are deleted:

2133 3EE4 file 0 x None del K:\LARSONPIX GOOD\3A-N.JPG 1890
BD2D dir 0 x None del M:\TMP\ZTMP000

but handles with codes like these are not deleted:

4638 8377 ? 0 ? FldPos --- K:\LARSNPIX
0509 8377 ? 0 D None --- K:\AMROC PIX
7D55 0000 FD 0 x None --- L:
B117 2B0F ? 0 ? ExeName --- C:\OS2\CLIPOS2.EXE
D4B5 2B0F ? 0 D None --- C:\OS2\POINTERS
B53F D4B5 ? 0 ? Location --- C:\OS2\POINTERS\SMALL BLACK
POINTERS

So it looks like cleanin: (1) does not delete, in fact doesn't even check
a handle which it finds in the ini file, (2) doesn't delete a handle with
a FD in column 3 or a D in column4 even if that handle is not in the ini
file.

I have concluded that: (1) Unimaint merely looks to see if a handle can be
followed to a drive, directory or file, (2) chkini does this and looks for
duplicate handles and files and drives that cannot be accessed, and (3)
that cleanini goes a step further to reject any file or directory handle
that is not in the sysini file except if an FD (Fixed Disk?) appears in
column 3 or a D (Drive?) appears in column 5.

Can you tell me, without too much effort, if my conclusions are corrct and
what cleanini is doing that Unimaint and chekini do not do? If I am in
over my head just say so and tell me to delete whatever cleanini wants to.
In any case tell me if it is okay to delete the handles cleanini wants to
delete.

Incidentally I have also concluded that, so far as the PM and PMWP entries
are concerned, chkini finds errors that Unimaint missed, but cleanini does
not.

I am sorry to have taken up so much of your time on this ini maintenance
business.

Jack

Return to [ 03 | November | 2003 ]