Return to [ 10 | November | 2003 ]

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:28:00 PST8
From: Steve Carter <scarter@vcnet.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Need recommendation for drive for TP 600X: read DVD and write CD in eCS

Svobi, Wayne, et al.:

Mea Culpa!
I misspoke. CD Record is freeware from the *nix world.

CD Record is indeed a viable alternative for OS/2.
The Linux guys seem pretty happy with it, and it
does indeed run under OS/2 with the right EMX .dlls.

CD Record always seemed a bit obscure to me, perhaps
because it was initially a command-line only program.
I understand there are now shells that make the entire
process easier, but I've not tried them.

RSJ is indeed expensive, but I choose to support a
native OS/2 Application when buying initially.

Personal Aside:

Personally, I would not consider this an excuse to convert
to XP or whatever. I have and use a windows machine.
My excuse is that I maintain it as my wife's home computer.
But most of my work computer-ing must be done under some
form of Windows (PSpice, Excel, Acrobat, etc.) on my
employer's machine. I need to maintain some base level of
competence in the Windows environment to stay employable.

My fastest CD burner is on the windows machine, as is
Clone CD, which I use to make useable backups of copy-
protected CDs while the originals sit safely on the shelf.
For everyday use and while traveling, I prefer to use copies
in order to safeguard my investment. For example, Ms "Streets and Trips"
is protected somehow and I use it exclusively in the motorhome.
There's a perfect application for using a replaceable copy.

/Aside

--Steve

On 11/10/03, Albert M. Svoboda wrote, in part:
>Hello
>
>RSJ is not THE ONLY, but the only commercial, OS/2 CD burning SW
>and their service and support is excellent !
>
>I do have their OS/2 and WIN versions !!
>
>There are some other SW too, ie the mentioned CDrecord
>but I do not have experience with these nor with their support !?
>Cheers, svobi

... and also ...

On 11/10/03, waynec@linkline.com wrote, in part:
>Steve Carter writes:
>
>> There is only one OS/2 CD-burning software game in town: RSJ
>>
>> http://www.rsj.de
>>
>> RSJ also makes a windows version.
>
>I am not currently using a cdrw, but I am starting to give it some
>thought...
>
>What about the freeware "cdrecord" program, is that not a solution?
>Or does it require RSJ?
>
>The cost of RSJ makes a cd writer a very expensive proposition
>for OS/2; in fact, it might be cheaper to convert to WinXP!!!

Return to [ 10 | November | 2003 ]