Return to [ 02 | November | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 18:41:13 PDT7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: background/foreground/focus terminology ?

In <3FA55EEF.1B44@peterskye.com>, on 11/02/03
at 11:46 AM, Peter Skye said:

>"foreground". Is background a process that does not use the screen,
>keyboard or mouse and which doesn't show up on the Workplace Shell Switch
>List or the Ctrl-Esc Window List?

These are called detached processes.

An app can choose to show up in the switch list or not. This has nothing
to do with process type.

>Q2: Is "focus" the term for the window whose titlebar is blue (rather
>than gray) and which is receiving the keyboard and mouse activity?

Yes. However, OS/2 supports the notion of hook DLLs which can intercept
keyboard and mouse input before the focus window gets a chance to process
the inputs.

>Q3: Can a window pop itself to the top of the display? Can a process
>pop a _different_ processes' window to the top of the display?

Yes. Yes.

>Q4: Can a window be popped to the top of the display (so you can see it,
>i.e. "always on top") but _not_ receive "focus"?

Yes, sorta. The only way I know to do this is to take focus an pop up and
then return focus to the original app.

>(Steven: I've done some very limited testing with udesktop, thanks for
>the heads up. From my testing it appears to be limited to the first 19
>windows but I have a lot more testing to do.)

I wouldn't doubt that it's an old app that has not been enhanced in quite
a while.

Regards,

Steven

Return to [ 02 | November | 2003 ]