Return to [ 30 | November | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:24:21 PST8
From: Steve Schiffman <schiffman@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: NetBEUI File Sharing Problem

Harry,

Your network and protocols are working properly. To have the Win98
computer participate in peer sharing, it needs to be connected to the
same network segment (or a bridged segment) as the other computers. You
have created a separate network segment between the Win98 and OS/2
computers that is separate than the network segment you have for the
router, 2 WinXP systems and OS/2. The IP protocol can be routed via the
IP Forwarding that you configured. NETBIOS/NetBeui is a non-routable
protocol. All systems that you want to have communicate with each other
need to be on the same network segment.

You have two solutions: 1) Cable the Win98 computer directly to a LAN
port on the router (or any cascaded hub/switch that is connected to the
routers lan port) and eliminate the use of the second adapter on the
OS/2 computer or 2) Add TCPBeui protocol to all computer systems to have
NETBIOS routed via IP between systems.

Steve Schiffman

Harry Motin wrote:

> I need some help with a NetBEUI file sharing problem on my computers. Any help on this will be appreciated! Here's my situation:
>
> I have 4 computers: an OS/2 machine, two XP machines and one 98 machine. The XP and OS/2 machines are all networked
> together as peers, using a hardware router. The router goes to the DSL Internet modem. The OS/2 machine uses adapter #1 on
> LAN0 to go to the router, the Internet and the other XP machines. The OS/2 machine also uses adapter #2 and LAN1 to go to the
> 98 machine. I use an Injoy firewall, which IP forwards information to/from the Internet and the 98 machine. The firewall IP forwards
> through adapters 1 and 2 on the OS/2 machine.
>
> Now, I can see and communicate with the Internet on all four machines. That's fine; no problems there. I can also file and print
> share (using NetBEUI) between the OS/2 and XP machines just fine. No problems there. However, I cannot file and print share to
> or from the 98 machine. I cannot see the 98 machine for file and print sharing and the 98 machine cannot see the other machines.
> For example, I get error SYS0053: "The network path was not found", when I use the "net view" command on the OS/2 machine to
> try and see the already defined shares on the 98 machine.
>
> I have TCPIP and NetBEUI bound to all the adapters on all the machines. I believe that I have the same parameters for NetBEUI
> on adapters 1 and 2 in my IBMLAN.INI file.
>
> Any one have any ideas? Are there any diagnostic tools for NetBEUI, like there are for TCPIP? Thanks for your help!

Return to [ 30 | November | 2003 ]