Return to [ 23 | November | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 13:02:31 PST8
From: waynec@linkline.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Wierd FDISK/PQmagic problem

waynec@linkline.com writes:

> I could try altering the bios to boot from scsi, then using FDISK to put
> boot manager on the first scsi drive, but I have a feeling I already tried
> that and it didn't let me create boot manager... I'll try it again to be
> certain; I may have to disconnect the ide drive in order to create a boot
> partition on scsi, although I have no idea if or why.

I've now tried that (with the ide drive disconnected), and I was right, it
didn't work: I booted Warp from diskettes and launched FDISK. FDISK first
displays a message at the bottom of the initial partition map display of
disk 1 (the first scsi drive) saying there might be something wrong with the
partition mapping on the first scsi drive (although it appears to show all
the partitions correctly), then will not allow me to create a new boot
manager partition in primary freespace... the option is greyed-out; in fact,
the only option choice allowed when I highlight ANY partition on that drive
is to delete the partition.

Another (probably unrelated) anomaly is that I am unable to run CHKDSK from
the Warp diskette bootup (using the diskettes I tailored last spring when I
put the u160 adapter and the 40gb ide drive on my new machine)... I get a
sys1210 message saying I am using an incorrect version of the operating
system. A "HELP sys1210" lookup of that error message from my other matching
Warp system says the message means I need to be at OS/2 2.0 or later; yet,
if I issue a "ver" on the diskette-booted Warp, it says I'm at version 4
(maybe it's getting that from the hard drive Warp, and not the diskette Warp
system?).

As I stated before, all was working fine (except that PQmagic only saw the
first of the two scsi drives) until I moved the u160 scsi adapter to a
different PCI slot, and changed the jumpered addresses on the two scsi
drives, from 5 & 7, to 2 & 4. Those scsi changes look fine when I run the
scsi adapter utilities by entering the adapter bios during bootup.

> Anybody have any ideas for me???? What is the FDISK meaning of "active",
> should the boot manager partition be set active or is it active by
> definition?

I am especially desirous of understanding why FDISK sees the scsi drives
first, before the ide drive (when bios is set to boot from the ide drive),
and why PQmagic now doesn't see either of the two scsi drives!

Wayne

Return to [ 23 | November | 2003 ]