Return to [ 24 | November | 2003 ]

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 02:14:35 PST8
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Wierd FDISK/PQmagic problem

In <20031122074358.11395.qmail@bjork.linkline.com>, on 11/21/03
at 11:44 PM, waynec@linkline.com said:

>I have a puzzle. I am trying to re-establish my boot manager on a mixed
>ide/scsi system after some physical changes.

Like a new MB or something that would effect how the BIOS operates?

Since you are running fdisk, I'll assume you are still running Warp4 on
this box.

>PQmagic run from diskettes doesn't show my two scsi hard drives. Before
>the changes it used to show one of them, now it doesn't show either one;
>it only shows the ide drive, as disk 1.

This possibly a BIOS issue or a SCSI configuration issue. BIOS is more
likely since OS/2 can see the drive.

>Although I can see all three drives with FDISK, and FDISK does see all
>the partitions correctly (Warp booted from diskettes), it shows the
>first scsi drive as disk 1, rather than the ide drive (which it shows as
>disk 3).

It sounds like you loaded the SCSI ADD driver before the IDE driver.

>Neither of those utilities will allow me to properly configure the boot
>manager partition. I've looked at partition codes and they all seem OK.

Which drive do you want to contain BM?

>controller in a higher PCI slot, it's drive showed up ahead of the u160
>drives when using FDISK... wasn't a problem using DriveCopy CD boot, but
>could be in future if I needed to boot from a u160 hard drive.

As long as you understand the interactions, this can all be handled. I've
had working setups where the SCSI HBA with the boot drive was not the
first SCSI HBA the BIOS initialized.

>But, the boot manager configuration now only shows the WinXP partition, I
> cannot boot Warp. I expected that might happen since I changed the
>physical PCI address of the scsi adapter by moving it, and the drive
>addresses by re-jumpering them. The question is how to fix boot manager.

Are you sure PM didn't farkle the partition type from 5 to F, or do you
run have a version of os2dasd that supports this?

>Anybody have any ideas for me???? What is the FDISK meaning of "active",
>should the boot manager partition be set active or is it active by
>definition?

It needs to be set active. If the XP partition is marked active, you are
not even using BM to boot XP.

Regards,

Steven

Return to [ 24 | November | 2003 ]