Return to [ 04 | October | 2003 ]

Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 00:02:24 PDT7
From: butch@fyrelizard.com
To: SCOUG-Help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: install warp3 connect

I was able to get the sp1253 download from the compaq site installed on my
old compaq laptop. I did it by downloading to a windows 2000 machine at
school. After getting the file downloaded, it executed and the 4 files
were put on floppies and transferred to the old laptop. They are file
14024US._01, QRST5.EXE, Readme.TXT, and SP2253.DOC. After reading the
SP1253.DOC and the README.TXT, it is pretty clear how to install the
display driver support. However, I am stumped in regards to the
information in the readme.txt: "Display Driver Support for OS/2 2.11 & 3.0
using the Western Digital WD90C24 Panel/CRT Systems
3/7/95 Release v1.00

To install the driver on OS/2 2.11 or OS/2 3.0:

- Before you begin, the install procedures requires the WD90C24 SVGA
driver
diskette to be named "WDC24 PANEL". This disk ID label is necessary
for the installation to begin.

- Once you have installed OS/2 with the default VGA driver on your laptop,
you are ready to install the WD90C24 SVGA driver from the driver disk.
The SVGA installation should be done with an external monitor (CRT)
attached to the computer. The installation needs to read the monitor
parameters in order to use the CRT properly.

- If you do not have a CRT, you may install on the panel only.
OS/2 will work properly on your LCD panel, but may not function
fully with an external monitor. If you wish to use a CRT in the
future, you will need to repeat the installation procedure with
a CRT attached. After installation has been performed with the
external monitor connected, OS/2 will work properly on the LCD panel,
the CRT monitor or both simultaneously.

- If a previously WD driver is installed and running in OS/2, follows
these steps:"

I am confused with the first direction. "Before you begin, the install
procedures requires the WD90C24 SVGA driver diskette to be named "WDC24
PANEL. This disk ID lable is necessary for the installation to begin." It
goes on to say, "Once you have installed OS/2 with the default VGA driver
on your laptop, you are ready to install the WD90C24 SVGA driver from the
driver disk." I believe the default vga driver was installed during
installation. Now install the WD90C24 SVGA driver from the driver disk.
Where is the driver disk? Is the driver here the file 140248US._01 ??

On a different vein, I tried to execute the QRST5.EXE file in an os/2
command line and dos command line. I couldn't get anything to work. Not
that it wouldn't have executed with a proper command. I was never to get
a proper command written. That was after reading thru the command line
material in the on-line help section several times. Hence the attempt and
success with QRST5.EXE execution with windows 2K. I thought once the file
was executed, I could transfer them to warp3.

At any rate, I am baffled with the WD90C24 SVGA driver in regards to
getting it from the driver disk.

A final note and one of success; I was able to get the pcmcia 3com
etherlink III driver installed and the config.sys changed to show the new
driver. Things are coming slowly, but they are coming.

Any help or advice on the questions here would be appreciated.

In addition, I would love to go to Chapman on Sunday, but the trip is too
hard right now with the health issues I am having.

Thanks,

Butch

Return to [ 04 | October | 2003 ]